Windows Users - New Virus out there "LovSan/MBlast" Worm

J

JamieD22

Most of you probably know by now, but most Win operating systems are affected by this virus; accesses your PC via an open port (135, 69). Causes your PC to reboot constantly - undetectable without latest version of .dat for McAfee. Here's the link to the Microsoft Update for XP users to prevent this infection:
XP Users click here

For those of you already infected (or if you'd like to pass this on to someone who is need of it):
Click here for the Symantec Tool (small file, under 200k).

Thought I'd let you all know as soon as I could! [:)]

PuShAkOv

2000 Post Club
You know.. I was about to re-format 8 of my XP systems for the same exact problem. One thing though... I never open any email on those systems.. how the hell did I get infected?

You think the latest version of Norton Anti-Virus would get rid of that?

epj3

PuShAkOv said:
You know.. I was about to re-format 8 of my XP systems for the same exact problem. One thing though... I never open any email on those systems.. how the hell did I get infected?

[rofl] [rofl] You're infected?!?!? I havent had antivirus software on my computer for a few years and have NEVER had a virus. Ran norton every now and then but dont keep it installed. Viruses? 1. Gave it to myself [?|] Thought it was pretty damn cool that i could open my cd tray from across the room using a trojan [?|] [?|] [?|]

epj3 said:
[rofl] [rofl] You're infected?!?!? I havent had antivirus software on my computer for a few years and have NEVER had a virus. Ran norton every now and then but dont keep it installed. Viruses? 1. Gave it to myself [?|] Thought it was pretty damn cool that i could open my cd tray from across the room using a trojan [?|] [?|] [?|]
\

Thats just not right

J

JamieD22

PuShAkOv said:

Worm enters your PC through certain (open) ports. You'll know if you have it - not only will it reboot your PC, you'll detect slowness and also have corrupted GUI's when navigating through Windows (Control Panel, Add/Remove Prog's, etc). Also, a file called mblaster.exe will be running (view Processes in Task Manager) on your PC.

adamsonem

1000 Post Club
If you open the Administrative Tools and go to "Services", you can disable RPC, or have it restart the service when it fails. If you disable it, you have no JavaScript, or Copy & Paste. If you have it restart, that's questionable. That's what I did though, because I couldn't install the fix.

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
I have a link ti microsoft that will download a patch for the worm once it has been either qurantined or eliminated if anyone needs it.

www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms02-036.asp [thumb]

All you have to do is go to that site, go to the bottom where it sais more technical...., scroll down to the program you have, click it, press download on next screen (upper left hand), and click open instead of save to disk.

P.S. it will be in winnt/system32/msblast.exe

Last edited: