Which one would you choose?? 2001 330i or 2003 325???

I need to buy a new BMW soon. I've been looking at both the 2001 330 and 2003 325 and I need to make a decision. PLEASE help me in answering some questions!!!

1. Is it true that the 2001 - 2003 body frame of the the 330i are the exact same?

2. What is the difference between Halogen and Xenon lights? I like the purplish lights, does that mean I need to get xenon?

3. Is there a really dramatic difference in body frame btwn, the 330 and 325?

4. Which one would you choose? A 2001 330i or a 2002/2003 325?

Welcome to the board!!! I think this all depends on how many miles are on te 2001. If iti s a high milage car you might want to go new. They are both great vehicles, so you really can't loose either way.

Also check out the warranty on both. These babies can be expensive to fix.

first of all welcome to this place! i hope you will enjoy your stay.

to your questions:

the models of the E46 (which includes both 2001 and 2003 models, were no subject of a change. the only thing that was changed is the optical aapearance, for instance different head lights, front bumper, stuff like that. the cars itselfs are the same.

(pics see below)

Xenon is the blue colored light. it is much brighter and emmits much more light which gives you a far better view during the nights.

330i 2001:

Attachments

at the end of the day i woul choose the new one. it is a question warranty on the one hand and style on the other. the lights of the older look a little better, but as the rest of the cars is so similar, i would give to warranty a head start!

flashinthepan

BMWgirl,

Hey another from the NW !! Cool, both look nice IMO, both decent performers. The guys above are right, evaluate the warranty issue...by chance did the 2001 have an extended warranty ? and/or is there a warranty available, if so how much $$$ etc..

Above all...."Cool deal" & happy driving to yaz !
[driving]

I personaly am against xeon lights. Often you can find a brighter halogen for cheeper, and the blue tint in the lights hurts fellow drivers more than halogens. Usualy the blue in some halogens isnt as bad.

epj3

coyotefreek said:
I personaly am against xeon lights. Often you can find a brighter halogen for cheeper, and the blue tint in the lights hurts fellow drivers more than halogens. Usualy the blue in some halogens isnt as bad.
1. I dont believe they even MAKE halogen lights that can match the performance of xenon (could be wrong, we need jimmy540i here to answer this...)

2. What really matters is if YOU can see. And actually they are MUCH easier for oncoming traffic, only the blue tint to it draws attention becuase It looks out of the ordinary, so you are stairing directly at the light. The only time the lights are worse than any normal lights (in my opinion) is if they forget that their highbeams are on, which is like a laserpointer in the eyes [B)]

Well I dont think it is the xeon lights that is bad, it is the blue tint. Also about the brightness comparason, it is comparing stock halogens vs optional factory xeon lights. Aftermarket xeon lights are usually some of the brightest you can buy. Now that I think about it consumer reports had done some testing and talked about the blue tint also.

epj3

coyotefreek said:
Well I dont think it is the xeon lights that is bad, it is the blue tint. Also about the brightness comparason, it is comparing stock halogens vs optional factory xeon lights. Aftermarket xeon lights are usually some of the brightest you can buy. Now that I think about it consumer reports had done some testing and talked about the blue tint also.
Consumer reports are not accurate or trustworthy. Corporations get their fingers in the reports....and not only that, they test many different things so who knows what they are (not) doing correctly.

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
If you plan on racing it at all go with the 3.0L, if not, get the newer 325. As far as the headlights go, the bulbs create totally different wavelengths based on the fact that they are produced by the combustion of different elements. If you look at the actual specs on the light that is produced, xenons create a light that is more capable of dialating your eyes which cause the blindness.

if xenon light would be that harmfull, do you really think the us would allow them? you can get sued for breaking ones ripps at a heart massage (how ever the technical word might be) and sue mcdonalds for serving a hot coffee.
some xenon that can blind you will never ever be allowed.

furthermore xenon is perfect and not blinding the upcoming traffic if adjusted properly. a halogen light has to be adjusted too, so we are comparing on the same basic.

the amount of light distributed from a xenon unit is just way more and farther than halogen. properly adjusted it does not blind you.

epj3

Wadula said:
if xenon light would be that harmfull, do you really think the us would allow them? you can get sued for breaking ones ripps at a heart massage (how ever the technical word might be) and sue mcdonalds for serving a hot coffee.
some xenon that can blind you will never ever be allowed.

furthermore xenon is perfect and not blinding the upcoming traffic if adjusted properly. a halogen light has to be adjusted too, so we are comparing on the same basic.

the amount of light distributed from a xenon unit is just way more and farther than halogen. properly adjusted it does not blind you.
I believe the way it shines off the road just draws your eye's too it, so if you're blinded, it's your fault [hihi]

coyotefreek said:
I thought hurting fellow drivers is why we drive BMWs...

Stock xenons aren't that blue. It's the aftermarket ones, particularly the halogen ones tinted blue that have the really blue tint. Some companies are bluer than others, but in general, it's the aftermarket ones at the 6000K level or higher but especially the fake halogen ones that really bother people

to get the really flashy effect you will ONLY See with BMW 3-series and the Audi.. you know what I'm talking about. it looks like a tiny dot of focused light. My xenons in my s-class is just a lot of white/blue light, it isnt focused into a tiny dot like the 3-series or a4 is, how do i get that?