What kind of car can i get?

Hey everybody. I am a total newbie in the bmw world. I have only recently begun to really appreciate the beauty and power of these machines and I have decided i need to buy one. However as a poor college student I was wondering what I could expect to get on my tight budget. What kind of bmw could I get with 10 grand? I don't even have that money, but would be willing to work my ass off to get it. My ideal car would be a E36 323i or 325i. Is it possible to find one so cheap??? And if it is, what kind of mileage/condition would it be? I know the price varies from situation to situation but in general what do you think? Thanks for the help. Oh by the way i live in California, if that helps with pricing.

injinuiti

First of all, hello and welcome to the forums [wave]

I notice that you live in the bay area... me too! Don't you get jealous of all these people up here who drive BMWs?!?!? You are basically in the exact same situation I am in. Low cash, college student, want a BMW. Though my budget is a bit higher than yours, I have seen a few great deals that I passed on.

Basically the best deal I have found so far (too bad it was sold) was a 96 328is 5spd with 120k mi for $10k and it was a leased vehicle.

Some older 325i/is should be withing your range but its gonna be a higher mileage car. Where do you go to school?? I go to school in the LA area so my car needs have a lower mileage.

Some helpful places I've been looking at for bay area cars: cars.com (this site is specifically for bay area), autotrader.com, sfgate.com (go to classifieds theres around 1400 used bmws for sale), and autobytel.com (haven't found a good use for it since most listed ones are new)

Hope this helps and good luck... you'll need it

epj3

I'm a senior in highschool so I do indeed have more time to work and earn money, but I am planning to get an autoloan and spend no more than 6,000 for an early e36 325is. I'm worried about repairs, but if I can not repair the car, it will just sit. The school I am going to go to for the first 2 years has a really good automotive school (it's not a trade school...) that has free labor, you just have to pay for parts. So I will have an advantage there. But I think you could find a MORE than decent e36 with $10,000.

injinuiti

maybe you could repair our cars... but damn too bad you live half way accross the nation from us...

Anyways, over here in the San Francisco bay area its a pretty rich area. A lot of people up here drive BMWs around. And its pretty hard lookin for a car.. I'm looking at 323,325,328s ranging from 1995-1998 and I haven't found a really good deal yet.

Don't you get jealous of all these people up here who drive BMWs?!?!?
OMG I am soooooo jealous!!! lol. Well between research and your help I now have a better idea of what i should keep my eyes open for. Thanks for the internet references. I'll definitely check those out. Man epj3, that'll be sweet if your school will fix you car for free! Hopefully we'll all be able to brag about our bmws on this forum soon. Oh, I'll be going to school in San Diego this fall (I just graduated hs). Maybe cars will be a little cheaper down there.

epj3

internetjunkee03 said:
OMG I am soooooo jealous!!! lol. Well between research and your help I now have a better idea of what i should keep my eyes open for. Thanks for the internet references. I'll definitely check those out. Man epj3, that'll be sweet if your school will fix you car for free! Hopefully we'll all be able to brag about our bmws on this forum soon. Oh, I'll be going to school in San Diego this fall (I just graduated hs). Maybe cars will be a little cheaper down there.
It is nice, and they are a pretty advanced school so the work will be okay. I just hope i dont need repairs till halfway through the first semester so they have time to learn how to put the car up on the hoist [hihi]

I'd check out autotrader first and see if anyone close to you has one for sale. I don't have your ZIP so i couldn't tell you how many are close to where live, but there should be a few. I know that a lot of ppl in Cali tend to price their cars higher than other parts of the country. But you should be able to find a good one for right under 10 grand.

Here's one http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/...d&advanced=n&start_year=1992&color=&cardist=8

$10500 probably could haggle down to $10k, its a 1994 Black 325i automatic. New tires, recently serviced, garaged, shuldent have to worry about it for a while. It even has a new sound system, clear corners, and euro lights. Only 79k miles on it.

Here is a 94 Convertible for 10k, 130k miles though. http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/...dvanced=n&start_year=1993&=&color=&cardist=30

It shuld be very easy for you to find a good car for 10 grand.