Upgrading audio for under $800?

Upgrading audio for under $1000?

Can somebody give me a recommedation for upgrading audio system for under $1000 ?

I listen to HK system today and regret that I didnt add $675 to add in HK system when I ordered my M3.

Looking for spending a little bit than that to make it up...

Last edited:
That's a tough one. You get what you pay for. A good head unit is about $500 and a decent amp would be about $400 and then you look for good speakers and that's about another $500.

That doesn't inlclude subs.

You could get something for under 8 bills but then you are putting a cheap stereo in a nice car...

jnike1414

Check ebay.. Maybe you could find some barely used items on there. Also, I read somewhere you could keep your bmw deck, cause it is alpine and upgrade the speakers and amp.

Good luck, whatever you decide

edelweiB

you should check out a/d/s/ they are a speaker manufacturer who designs a range of car audio products (including amplfiers) with BMW in mind. If you go to the manual section of the website you can download a pdf for 3-series BMWs.
You should spend a couple of grand for a decent sound system and since you drive an M3 with SMG it should be a drop in the bucket for you.
If you want to keep it simple and save the ergonomics of your dash the a/d/s/ amps are able to recieve speaker level outputs from a factory source and converts them to line levels inside the amp. If later on you wish to add an aftermarket source the amps also recieve standard RCA live level outputs.
the stuff a/d/s/ makes calls for some very simple and minimalist installs that sound great with factory sources.
check out the a/d/s/ pricelist at evosport to get an idea about the price range

www.adst.com

www.evosport.com/product/mobile_elec/

Last edited:
edelweiB,

Thank you very much, that is a very helpful hint.

I did not find the PDF file at ADS site following your instrucion however I found a link to download it from searching at google.com.

http://www.adst.com/pdfs/bmwe46.pdf

Althought I spent $60K on my car, that does not mean I am rich.. :( I am planning to do the first stage upgrade which will cost me about $1200 (Labor will be free because I'm collecting the parts and have one of my friend install them for me)

Do you think this configuration will be better than the optional HK system BMW offers ?

edelweiB

phase I is a good start. as you get into it more you can just plug and play. this is why a/d/s/ is great you don't need to drop a ton of cash all at once.
be sure to pick up the AC502 subwoofer amp gain control because as you listen to different types of music (say dave matthews and dr. dre) you can adjust the gain of the subwoofer amp directly.
If I were you I would just pick up the PH30.2 amp to power everything and pick one (or two) of the r-series subwoofers.
When you feel like you need some more clarity replace the oem fronts and rears. Lastly, replace the source, if you really feel like losing the lines of your dash. I would recommend looking into a Nakamichi, Denon, or McIntosh Labs source, they are expensive (starting at around a grand, i think the denon dct-z1 costs 3k). At the moment I am using the McIntosh MX406 source, along with some McIntosh amplifiers and the unit is awesome. And if you are worried about the audio controls on your steering wheel not working after you remove the oem source, a good installer can actually open up an aftermarket source and apply the wheel controls to the circuits so the buttons will still work!

www.mcintoshlabs.com
www.nakamichi.com
www.redmountainaudio.com
red mountain audio is the denon car audio distributor in NA

Last edited:
edelweiB,

I want to say thank you again for the great help!

Be honest to you, I know the more I pay, the better quality I get, however I do not have that much of budget, I'll just go for exactly the configuration in the Phase I upgrade.

I found 236is for $229 / pair and P650 amp for $469 plus about $30 shipping in both. That could probably make the total price under $1000. Hope this will beat of not too far from Harman Kardon.

whatever you do, start with the head unit. I haven't really played with any of the newer sound systems on the E46, but i know that the one in my E30 and my brothers E36 are complete crap compared to whats on the market.

Provided you don't listen to rap music at extremely high volume (and aren't a total car audio nut), you should make out ok with a good head unit and good speakers.

If you want to spend a bit more (200 or so), you could get a sub to go in the trunk to add extra clarity and punch for your bass, and to take the strain off of your regular speakers. Although you don't HAVE to, it is highly reccomended.

All in all, i did my entire car for around a grand, and that inclues:
Alpine CDA-7893 head unit
Alpine MRD-M300 amp (with controller)
Infinity 12" DVC sub (that thing is awsome)
Custom box--(did that myself, little to no cost)
Kennwood 5.25" component set up front
Kennwood 5.25" 3 ways in rear

Oh, and do try and find the stuff on E-bay. It'll save you a lot of $$$

BMW-M-Freak,

AOL is the only IM software that I don't have an ID, I have Yahoo, MSN and ICQ, if you happen to have any of them, please let me know so we can talk there. :)

Thank you very much for the reply, as you can see, I have changed my topic from $800 budget to $1000. It looks like you get a good deal in purchasing those parts ! I do have couple questions for you:

(1) In opposite to your upgrade, the head unit is the last thing I want to change, because I have done a little bit research an dppl say the Alpine CD performs actually surprisingly good.

(2) How many channels does your MRD-M300 support? How many channels does a normal user need ?

I'm really not audio nut, I just can't accept the sound quality of the stock system, can you please give me your opinion about the upgrade Phase I at this link?

http://www.adst.com/pdfs/bmwe46.pdf

Comparing to yours, it enphasizes in amp and speaker, and I wish to know what you think about that. :)

I upgraded the headunit to an alpine cda 7894 which cost $260 off ebay. I put that in alone first, and was amazed at how much better/different my OEM speakers sounded, and decided to keep them for now. They were much louder/crisper with 60w per channel versus the pitiful OEM radio currents...

Then I added a JL 10w7 that was $410 off ebay with a custom sealed box and an alpine MRD-M500 mono sub amp which works GREAT for $290 off ebay as well. Spent about $70 on high grade wiring and fuse setup, then about $100 install altogether.
YOu can find comparable prices if you're patient, it took me a month or two to get it all lined up.

HU-$260---retail: $350-$400
SUB-$410--retail: $600-$700<without box>
AMP-$290--retail: $500
MISC-$170
total $1130--retail:$1450-$1600

I realize that's a little over what you were saying, but other subs can be had much cheaper than the JL, but damn, I like that JL[thumb] , and the car sounds awesome, gotten lots of compliments on the versality of the setup and is easy to control for different types of music.

The setup also doesn't take up as much trunk space as some, although I don't like the way the amp sits on the side, am going to have that re-mounted on its end so its more out of the way.

Here's a pic below... give the OEMs a shot with new head unit if you haven't blown them, you may be surprised and can spend the extra dough on the sub equipment....

Attachments

Last edited:
MaTTerZ,

Great upgrade with great bargain!

Would u mind to post a picture aobut where u put the Amp ?

I looked at ur configuration again, you did not swap ANY of the OEM speakers, and they are not Harman Kardon. But after adding SUB, AMP and HU, they sounds great, is this statement correct?

Last edited:
That's right, the speakers are NOT hk, and are OEM speakers which sounded heckuva lot better with good setup and sub to take any bass work off of it- Everyone that's heard it is surprised the speakers are still stock. So, seems like HK should sound better than OEM... I'd at least give it a shot with a good headunit before splurging- I drove for about 2 weeks or so with the speakers stock before deciding to keep them, at least until I can maybe afford a nice upgrade somewhere down the line.

Here's a pic below of the current amp mount, which is on a custom board sitting on top of the battery in the trunk. I don't like this setup because it's high profile, not "bolted" and is just sort of in the way right there. I've seen people mount them on the side where it is now, but on end so the amp sort of stands up and is more out of the way- I thought this was much better aesthetically and to conserve even more space.

Ok, that was long-winded. [:D] but gotta love good music in your car...[;)] [thumb] my .02$ anyway!

Attachments

OK, one last stupid question for you Matt,

Where is the factory amp located? Did you just take it out and dump it, or it's still working after your mods were added?

pete28

the first upgrade i would do is just go and buy a sub and an amp that is around 100W rms. this is all the bass you will need. You will not rock the house.. but the music will sound a lot clearer. I don't know how hard is it to tap the signinal in bmw but ask couple installers for quotes.

I know best buy and circuit city have many specials on their subs and amp pakage. A sub and amp will be like 300-400 + 100-150 instalation and will give you a lot of bass. If you want to spend money though then get JL subs. the make the best subwoffers on the market!.

With this upgrade if you are not satisfied then you can replace the head unit and see if it makes a good difference followed by speakers. just make sure the head unit can power all other speakers in the car.

A good way to tell if speakers are being overdriven or under driven is like this, If speakers sound good at low volumes ( balanced) but unbalanced at heigh volume ( near the max) then the speakers are not getting enough power. If the speakers sound the same with voulme near max but sound poor at very high or low frequencies then it is the speakers.

Hope this helps

Hey achen,
I was wondering if you bought anything as of yet. First off be glad you saved money by not getting the HK system. The HK system is an upgrade for sure, but most anything aftermarket will blow it away for a comparable price. My advice for improving general sound is to replace the headunit and get some nice component speakers up front and power them up with a decent amp. I understand not wanting to change the headunit for the sake of clean lines and that stock look, but doing so will greatly improve your sound. Brands to consider are Eclipse, Alpine, Nakamichi, Clarion and Pioneer. Macintosh and Denon are sweet for sure, but be prepared to drop some change for those babies. For speakers, put most of your money on components up front and leave your rear speakers stock or if you choose upgrade them later. Some good speakers are made by the likes of Focal, Dynaudio, CDT and MB quart. Good speakers have different characteristics which range from bright and in your ear, to more laid back and smooth. You really got to go to a store and listen to find what suits your ear. For subs, I've been impressed by the quality of the JLs, but not so much by their price. Even though a/d/s and BMW have a long standing relationship, I've heard that their quality has dropped of in recent years, but I can account for this personally.

Retail stores like Circuit City will rip you off. There are many reputable sites online that will save you money. Try www.ikesound.com and www.thezeb.com among others. I got into car audio recently and one of the things I have noticed is that some of the best brands is stuff you've never heard of. I just recently bought an eclipse headunit and have CDT comps on the way. I'm now in search of a nice sub and amps.

For some great advice try http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi

The factory amps are still in- they were left as-is and I just sort of "added" the sub circuit and amp in the trunk-

The problem with the factory system wasn't in the factory amps or speakers as much as the headunit signal and power ratings. The strong 60w alpine signals give them much better clarity and power range. (I think I heard/read 9w per channel somewhere??? [8]

Vocals come through clear no matter the bass level and it can get up there! [rofl]
Happy trails-

Heezyo2o, Matt,

Thanks for your continuously help, guess how much it cost me for amp + sub + installation ?

$180.

Work is gonna be done on this coming Thursday, I'll post the specs later, I dont quite remember them now.

If it doesn't work out great, the next thing I'm gonna do is another 4 or 6 channel amp and front speakers.