PA turnpike sucks

I can't believe the most expensive road in PA to travel is also the worst. It's only 4 lanes most of the way.....and two of them are almost always closed for construction....in places that are smooth as ice. I don't get it, I guess....and why isn't there HOV? [confused]

epj3

Bear6360 said:
I can't believe the most expensive road in PA to travel is also the worst. It's only 4 lanes most of the way.....and two of them are almost always closed for construction....in places that are smooth as ice. I don't get it, I guess....and why isn't there HOV? [confused]
I got back from virginia today, and I can tell ya, you can tell when you enter PA from maryland...very very smooth then all of a sudden there is a break in the road and it's all crap. Penndot SUCKS. I dont get it...I know one thing, the roads in maryland, virginia, and especially new jersey, are nice.

Bear6360 said:
Yeah it's weird but here's why:
The PA Turnpike Commission is actually separate from PennDOT in terms of funding and management. ALL of the money from tolls goes ONLY to maintaining the Turnpike. They are actually profitable in the sense that they take in more money than they need for regular maintenance and repairs.

So they spend money in areas that the road is fine by coming up with creative projects - widen the shoulder, improve drainage, build pulloffs, build blinds for the State Police to hide in, etc, etc, etc. That is why they are doing construction on smooth roads. This is also why the turnpike is almost always in great shape during snow storms.

Meanwhile, roads like 22, 78, 81, 83, 222, 61, 30, etc. are in horrible condition and take years to get funding. I've always thought that 78/81/83 should become toll roads. Do you realize how much WE pay in taxes to maintain those roads that are by and large destroyed by PASSING THRU/OUT OF STATE truck traffic?

The HOV lane is a great idea!!! That's why it will never happen!!

epj3

Re: Re: PA turnpike sucks

Kirby said:
Yeah it's weird but here's why:
The PA Turnpike Commission is actually separate from PennDOT in terms of funding and management. ALL of the money from tolls goes ONLY to maintaining the Turnpike. They are actually profitable in the sense that they take in more money than they need for regular maintenance and repairs.

So they spend money in areas that the road is fine by coming up with creative projects - widen the shoulder, improve drainage, build pulloffs, build blinds for the State Police to hide in, etc, etc, etc. That is why they are doing construction on smooth roads. This is also why the turnpike is almost always in great shape during snow storms.

Meanwhile, roads like 22, 78, 81, 83, 222, 61, 30, etc. are in horrible condition and take years to get funding. I've always thought that 78/81/83 should become toll roads. Do you realize how much WE pay in taxes to maintain those roads that are by and large destroyed by PASSING THRU/OUT OF STATE truck traffic?

The HOV lane is a great idea!!! That's why it will never happen!!
I never thought about the passing through trucks. Though 83, before you get on 30 is being worked on and understandibly so. That road is so torn up it's absolutely horrible on your car. I think the state should take off sales tax on parts of cars that are affected by the roads (ie suspension, wheel bearings, etc.)

Penndot also wastes a lot of money. Rt. 30 in/near lancaster was supposed to take what, about a year? And it took what...4 years?! Some of the roads around lititz and ephrata remind me of the back roads throughout the farms. I expect back roads to be a little run down, but they are in better condition than 501!!!

Last edited:
I completely agree with 83, i use the shrewsbury exit and since they have recently (past months recently) i have notice when you come in from MD there is 1 lane that is now finally done, it rides very nice, but after that 2 mile run its crap again. and probably will be for the next year, it always takes forever for road work, what about the guy that just waves the lighted wand?

epj3

SaintCornelius said:
I completely agree with 83, i use the shrewsbury exit and since they have recently (past months recently) i have notice when you come in from MD there is 1 lane that is now finally done, it rides very nice, but after that 2 mile run its crap again. and probably will be for the next year, it always takes forever for road work, what about the guy that just waves the lighted wand?
and gets paid 32 bucks an hour [xx(]

cea

I've only beent to PA a couple of times, and every tie the road we take is always under construction. I can't remember what road we take, but it wasn't a toll road.

I like the idea about 83 (and other main roads) being toll roads, but they should be like the Walt Whitman Bridge. The toll should only be on the border for out of states....and possibly only for big trucks. I guess that might hurt the economy a little, though, if the rate is too high. It's like turning away business. Hm....there should be some solution. [???1]

Someone needs to invent hover craft cars. Off-roading would be boring then, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice. [:D]

Re: Re: Re: PA turnpike sucks

epj3 said:
Penndot also wastes a lot of money. Rt. 30 in/near lancaster was supposed to take what, about a year? And it took what...4 years?! Some of the roads around lititz and ephrata remind me of the back roads throughout the farms. I expect back roads to be a little run down, but they are in better condition than 501!!!
Back roads are always in better shape than main ones. They're less traveled by big vehicles.

As for construction taking forever....what's goin' on with 222? How long has the new bypass been in progress? I can't wait until that thing is installed. [burnout]

epj3

Re: Re: Re: Re: PA turnpike sucks

Bear6360 said:
Back roads are always in better shape than main ones. They're less traveled by big vehicles.

As for construction taking forever....what's goin' on with 222? How long has the new bypass been in progress? I can't wait until that thing is installed. [burnout]
Yea i know, every time they get a section finished, it takes a few minutes off my dad's commute back home.

also remember that the weather does not help either.....[?|] salt and 18 wheelers aren't a very good match on the roads!!!!not to mention a lot of flying debre does not help your paintjob either....

epj3

Keyz2mybimmer said:
also remember that the weather does not help either.....[?|] salt and 18 wheelers aren't a very good match on the roads!!!!not to mention a lot of flying debre does not help your paintjob either....
it's not really the salt -- that just messes up your car. It's the constant cooling and warming and cooling of the road surface. The long road next to my school was completely smooth - you could go down it 75 mph no problem (15mph zone, but even the cops go 35), but now there are so many pot holes...BIG ones at that (2 - 4 inches deep!!!) which makes it hard to go down it at 15 mph.