Newbie looking to purchase, please Help!

Raztog

Hello all,

I am new to your forum and must say that you all seem to be the friendliest, most helpful group of people on the net. I am hoping that you all will answer a few questions for me or at least point me in the right direction.

It's time to buy my wife a newer car. She works really hard and deserves it. Since we have admired BMW's for a long time, we have been looking at some used BMW's in Sacramento. We have been looking at 2000 328i and 2001 325i automatic sedans with less than 50,000 miles. They seem to be going retail from the dealer for $25-30k, and this matches the KBB online retail price. Tonight we were looking at new car ads in the newspaper and we saw some brand new 2003 325i automatic sedans selling for less than 30,000. Our budget is closer to $25k but we might be willing to stretch it for a 2003 model. Tomorrow we are going to our local dealer, Niello BMW, here in Sacramento to take a look around at both their new and used inventory. Their current ad states that they are the only dealership in Northern California to win the new BMW Quality Management Systems Trophy. I was wondering if this really means anything and what impact it has on a consumer's buying or service experience?

I will try to insert the link to the ad here: http://bmw.niello.com/pdf/bmw_newspaper_ad.pdf

Secondly, I was wondering if you members that are in Northern California have a favorite dealer that you would recommend and if so, why? Finally, the hard part when evaluating these used cars pricewise is not knowing what exact options they have. I have no idea how to tell if the vehicle has sports package suspension or upgraded audio. Is there a place that lists little hints about packages. Like, 3-spoke steering wheel=sports package, 4-spoke steering wheel=performance package and 5-spoke steering wheel is standard. It would be neat if there was a place that you can punch in a used vehicle's vin# and find out what factory options were installed or something, anyone ever heard of that?

Thanks in advance for your help. My wife and I really appreciate it.

Raz...

Last edited:
First, howdy and [welcome]

Glad you like it here. I really have no answer to the award that you mentioned, it's the first that I've heard of it. Hopefully some of the Cali natives here can help you out on that dealership.

Tom

Staff Team
Hi and welcome Raztog, I'm with the rest of the guys and have never heard of this award before. I've dealt with Niello BMW before when I was shopping for my M3 and their customer service isn't too bad. I have also visited Roseville BMW and between the two, I would give my business to Niello simply because they're sales team was much better.

From that ad, their prices seems pretty good. If you get the CPO models they should come with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. I'm not sure of a site that allows you to check the options based on the VIN other than asking the sales person yourself.

Since I live out here in the Bay Area, my favorite dealers are East Bay and Stevens Creek BMW. I have always received excellent service when I visit those dealers. The dealers on my bad list would be Concord BMW, Peter Pan BMW, and Claridge BMW for poor customer service.

Good luck with your purchase and please feel free to post additional questions.

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
welcome aboard!!!!![thumb] You should most definately find the people in here very helpful. I personally cannot help you with this, but I can tell you that it is very worthwhile to pay the $40 or so to join the bmwcca. Cheaper service, parts, and really cool events. I f you have any questions feel free to ask.

[welcome]

Out of the two Sacramento ones, Niello is better (the sales anyways). I was ignored when I went there, but that's cuz I'm young looking and pulled up in a Civic. I got questioning/dirty looks when I stopped by Roseville so I can't recommend either really. Try the Bay Area dealers if possible since there's more competition. My friend got a pretty good deal at Stevens Creek in San Jose, but he dealt with the fleet manager.

Hi,

I don't think Niello is all that bad, Stay away from Concord BMW for sales, they are horrid. But thier service dept seems ok. SF BMW just sucks all the way around(rude sales and even worst service. I like Weatherford in Berkeley, and have heard pretty good things about Eastbay Bmw in Pleasanton. Good luck!

Raztog

The 325i for that price was alpine white with sand leatherette interior. It had no additional equipment and manual transmission. Still not a bad price.