Newbie looking for info on E36's

Isaac13

Hello, I'm new here (obviously) and will be looking to purchase a 96-98 328 coupe shortly after Christmas. I'm interested in some information about their upkeep as well as general information about them. I know this quite general, but I don't really know what to ask about. Any information is appreciated!!! Thanks!

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
The engine code for these cars is M52 B28, it is a DOHC 24V I6 that comes equipped with the Vanos variable valve timing system. It has a 2793 cc displacement which play out 190hp at 5300 rpm and 207 Ft/Lbs torque at 3950 rpm. The top speed is 128MPH (electronically limited) which can be raised with the changing of the electronically erasable programmable read on memory (chip). Anything else¿

Isaac13

Hey thanks for the link, i learned some valuable info. However I will be looking for a newer vehicle than what that person was (is) looking for. I am attending college also, so an expensive upkeep is not one of the things I want. I will be looking into a 97-98 328 as it seems to fit my price range of about $15,000.

yo isaac, you have to keep an eye out, but you can catch some 97 328's out there for sale for around 15. what condition they are in are another story.
i was like you a few months ago. in college, and looking for a 328. i ended up getting a garage kept 97 328i with 48k miles, and im loving it. dont rule out the sedans. they are pretty darn sharp lookin and just as sporty as the coupes in my opinion.
a couple notes though, if your really looking for a treat, get one with the sports package. you'll be glad you did. and also ask tons of questions about the car, whoever you speak to. chances are your gonna get a good feel for how the car was treated by how the previous owner responds to you.

Heresy said:
yo isaac, you have to keep an eye out, but you can catch some 97 328's out there for sale for around 15. what condition they are in are another story.
i was like you a few months ago. in college, and looking for a 328. i ended up getting a garage kept 97 328i with 48k miles, and im loving it. dont rule out the sedans. they are pretty darn sharp lookin and just as sporty as the coupes in my opinion.
a couple notes though, if your really looking for a treat, get one with the sports package. you'll be glad you did. and also ask tons of questions about the car, whoever you speak to. chances are your gonna get a good feel for how the car was treated by how the previous owner responds to you.
Don't rule out the E36 M3 either, as you can find a decent one for $15k.

I prefer the versatility of the sedan over the coupe, but I may be buying an M3 coupe in the future, so I don't mean to suggest the coupe lacks appeal.

The sport package is nice, with a better suspension and 16 x 7.5s(?) w/225/50/16 rubber. I think it also includes the LSD.

Finding a good one is the key. They cost a little more up front, but are well worth it in the long run. You want the BMW CCA member who puts it under a car cover in the winter and waxes behind the license plate. Of course if you can't find that or encounter the downside of such sellers (they usually are not under financial pressure to sell the car), all you really need is a good mechanic to inspect the car before you buy it, assuming clean title, good test drive, etc.

exactly. i had a shot at buying a 95' m3 for less than 15k but the seller decided to keep it (i cant say i blame him considering it was in beautiful condition, but i was still a little pissed!) [;)]

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
I had a chance to pick up a 95 M3 for $8,000. But it had a salvage title (stolen and not recovered until the insurance settled), and they wanted $4,782 for six months of insurance.

junglestylz said:
I had a chance to pick up a 95 M3 for $8,000. But it had a salvage title (stolen and not recovered until the insurance settled), and they wanted $4,782 for six months of insurance.
IMHO a salvaged M3 is only good for a race car, provided the frame checks out. Was that insurance rate impacted by the salvage title, or was that for any '95 M3?

Isaac13

thanks guys for all your replies. I would REALLY like an E36 M3, but i'm 22 years old and I could only imagine the insurance for it. i'm sure anything I'll get will be way more than my current 98 ford taurus, but I also don't want to kill myself on payments either, that's why i hadn't inquired about the M3. I think the sedan is a sharp looking car, more of a grocery getter, but none the less, the appeal is still there! I believe that if I found a great condition sedan I'd still get it. The sport package sounds sweet and it sounds like it adds quite a bit of appeal to the car, but I've not seen it mentioned in the ads out there for them. Is there some way to tell which cars have it and which don't? Are there different wheels, or a different front fascia, or rear valence? I was driving home from work tonight and some "kid" pulled up next to me in a 3rd generation (newest) eclipse and thought that since I have a system in my car, that it's race time. I hate getting my (taurus) butt kicked by some kid in an Eclipse! I'm hoping that while the 328 has a little less power, it will still be able to hold up with some the cars out there today. Any input anyone???? Personal experiences or anything? Thanks!!

okay, first of all. you can think of 'Ilse' (my baby) as a grocery getter. but take a look that this.

thats a stock 97' 328i with the sports package. yes buddy, thats unmodded. tell me this beyotch doesnt look sexy. this is my bmw. as of 3 days ago. you wanna talk about sports handeling? lets try taking a turn that pushes my roomates 2001 gt mustang modded with eibach springs to the edge of the road when he goes 50, at a sweet 65 miles an hour.
your not going to be able to take gt mustangs off the line, but you can laugh at an eclipse, as long as you learn how to drive the car.
bear in mind though that a 328 isnt a racing car. at least in my opinion. an m3 is a racing car. the 328 is like the ultimate road car with perks.

Heresy's 328 has the sports package rims, which are the easiest visual clue. Of course, you can buy those rims in the aftermarket, but the originals are expensive and the replicas are crap, so most of the ones you see on the street are probably legit and indicative of a sports package 328.

Other than that, you can probably get the info. from BMW with the Vin # or perhaps the current owner still has the window sticker. A knowledgeable BMW tech should be able to tell the difference.

As for keeping up, a 328 manual should run between a 6.5-6.7 second 0-60, high 14 quarter, and top out at 145 with the rev limiter (128) removed. If you take it to the track, you will find its handling and braking are better than many faster cars, typically heavy american iron with a lot of torque. Most of the time it comes down to driver skill (within reason). At my first driver's school I was dusting E36 M3s with my 325i for the first day and a half, until they started to get the hang of performance driving and could use the capabilities of their superior automobiles.

Last edited:

Isaac13

Heresy,
Aside from thinking that your "screen name" is pretty kick ass, I totally dig your car. I eat the "grocery getter" words! Those wheels do it for that car. If I could find one exactly like that in a few months, it would all be over. I realize that these aren't racing cars, but as long as I can dust some punk ass kids in their mommy and daddy cars as well as some too-good-for-you people in their SUV's, I'll be happy. I'm not aiming for mustangs, if I were I'd buy an eclipse GSX and put about a grand into in and be done.

I could live with a 6.5 0-60 and a high 14 1/4. I'm wondering if the performance bolt-ons are worth it. I've seen that they are quite expensive and produce a couple hp, so I may not do much to it other than the basic CAI, sport exhaust, H&R springs, and some minor cosmetic things. I've read about the Dinan chip tuning, and i'm not interested in that aside from the top speed governor being removed. I guess it will all come in due time[burnout]

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
brahtw8 said:
IMHO a salvaged M3 is only good for a race car, provided the frame checks out. Was that insurance rate impacted by the salvage title, or was that for any '95 M3?
That was for any M3 it dropped to down around $3,900 for an E30 M3..

Isaac,

thanks for the compliments. i would expect an ohio resident to appreciate such a 'handle'. you people up there are just about as wacked out as virginians. a lot of good music comes from ohio. aside from that, i know you'll be pleased with a 328. around here we have TON of punk assed ricers who think they own the highways with their weedwhacker sounding tailpipes. i searched hi and lo for a manual 328, but i settled for an auto. that doesnt mean that your losing anything though. with the automatic, you put it in third gear, which is 'sport mode' (or kickass mode as i like to call it) and turn off the traction control, and she gets fiesty! there are so many instances where im driving and im taken back on how well the car performs. cruising at 70+ is really where the car shines. the steering is tight and the car responds. i also like how the stock car is a little low to the ground, without breaching that 'slammed' barrier. your winning on both sides. the car looks sleek, and you havent touched the original settings so you know the car will still perform how it should.
heres another thing, how many ricers have you seen on the road that actually look comfortable. i dont remember ever seeing a riced out acura thinking: hmm, id really like to take a day trip in that car. it looks like it would really be a comfortable ride! with my sedan i can carry more ladies around with more comfort (and style) than any ricer. dont even get me started on saftey. im like you, im 22. so these things are important to me.
so the car totally impresses me and i have all the time in the world to add mods should i decide to do so.
what color are you looking for?
i cant stress enough about the sport package.. i looked at one with the 'premium package' but thats really a interior thing with the wood trim which didnt do much for me, and a 6 disk cd changer. well i already had my blaupunkt mp3 reciever ready to swap, so that wasnt a benefit. there are a few other things, but i think its really for the luxury side of the car.
anyway, im at work and i could talk about this all damn day. send me an email if you want to ask me some particular questions, or need any advice that im leaving out. good luck!
email: pseudoco@aol.com

Isaac13

We have some good music up here, I just don't have much time to "tune" into it. I went to the summer sanitarium tour in july, and that was awesome! I had never been to a concert before, but I will definitely go again!
Now that you mention it, I've never seen a Jap import that is tuneable and comfortable. I would hope that an Integra would be somewhat comfortable being and Acura, but I'm positive it's not as safe as a 328. There are a ton of kids around here with "riced" cars. most are pretty cool and appreciative of different cars, but as always there are some punk kids out there that are total asses. My little brother has a Civic Ex with small tasteful mods on it, but nothing extreme and he's very appreciative of other cars.

Isaac13 said:
Now that you mention it, I've never seen a Jap import that is tuneable and comfortable.
Easy on the japenese cars, Isaac13. Yes, we laugh at ricers (which the general consensus seems to define as beyond coming from a japanese automaker), but don't dismiss an entire country's automotive output because of a few fart cans (okay, a lot) and double-decker sushi-bar wings. It's been a while since I had to reign in the ricer wars around here.

As for a tuneable and comfortable import, many in the know consider this 'jap' car to be one of the most comfortable around (the seats are amazing), aftermarket parts abound, and it is certainly worthy of your respect.

Last edited:
just to clarify, i understand that your saying brahtw8. i think we are all on the same level when someone says 'ricer'. i wasnt trying to single out acura's or imported vehicles for that matter when i was speaking of comfort. but its true though. ive never seen a ricer that looked comfortable. usually the driver is laying halfway into the back of the car anyway...

Isaac13

BrahtW8,
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. I've driven a friends NSX and it IS comfortable, and i'm not trying to single out any single certain country's vehicles. My apologies. The only thing I have to say is that your japanese car happens to be one of the most expensive and thrilling vehicles japan has to muster up! It should be comfortable for a cool $80,000. I've ridden in a number of japanese cars and the most comfortable one that i've driven to date was/is the GS430 with a G35 sedan coming in at a close second. Otherwise I enjoy the cockpit sense and feel (although an utter lack of power) in a XK8 Jaguar. But the MOST comfortable seats have to come from the new 7 I test drove when Dayton had their first one on the lot. I was totally immersed in the vehicle. Amazing. However I can and do appreciate a lot of Japanese cars because of their impeccable engineering and tuning ability. However, that's why we see a lot of them around. It's a null argument and I wasn't try to start anything, [burnout]

Isaac13 said:
BrahtW8,
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. I've driven a friends NSX and it IS comfortable, and i'm not trying to single out any single certain country's vehicles. My apologies. The only thing I have to say is that your japanese car happens to be one of the most expensive and thrilling vehicles japan has to muster up! It should be comfortable for a cool $80,000. I've ridden in a number of japanese cars and the most comfortable one that i've driven to date was/is the GS430 with a G35 sedan coming in at a close second. Otherwise I enjoy the cockpit sense and feel (although an utter lack of power) in a XK8 Jaguar. But the MOST comfortable seats have to come from the new 7 I test drove when Dayton had their first one on the lot. I was totally immersed in the vehicle. Amazing. However I can and do appreciate a lot of Japanese cars because of their impeccable engineering and tuning ability. However, that's why we see a lot of them around. It's a null argument and I wasn't try to start anything, [burnout]
It's all good man, no worries. I am a little touchy about the ricer moniker, and I'm not asian. I just appreciate japanese cars. As for expensive, most NSXes on the road are $30-35k cars. Of the 8000 or so imported to the US, 4000 were 91-92s. I wouldn't buy a new one for $80k. Maybe when the new NSX comes out. Too bad nobody knows what its going to be. (I've seen all the spy shot speculation).

[thumb]