New M3?!

aqua

Hello all.
I've been enjoying reading the threads for the past few days. You guys/gals really seem like a caring bunch! I'm a complete BMW newbie although I've admired them from a distance for many years. I am now suddenly in a position to buy a new M3 and I wanted to hear any and all feedback on the +&- for this decision.

1. Thoughts on new 540i vs. new M3
2. Thoughts on new 330i vs. new M3
3. Thoughts on M3 coupe vs. M3 convertible
4. Any other opinions/facts on the issue

I know that I am asking vague questions and I hope to stir up some discussion as a result. THANKS!

-Aqua

bah! blasphemy!

im sorry, but if im cruisin im my 328 down the highway and an m3 owner pulled up beside me, id hope he'd be cool enough to wave before dusting me, i wouldnt attempt it in a 330 or 5 series either.
furthermore, if i was in an m3 i wouldnt bully my fellow bimmer friends. ill grit on a ricer any given day. but you have to have a little respect for your peeps.

i try to be cool with any other bmw drivers on the road. but i havent found any that will give 'the wave'
when im driving with my boss in his corvette, every other vette on the road, you'll see the wave coming from the driver. i thought that was pretty cool. so my first day with the bimmer, im waving to any other drivers on the road. how many have i got in return? zero. zip. nada.
now im not the bmw etiquette police, nor do i think EVERYONE should be happy go lucky, because i know im not for the most part. but i still try. looking for the tip of the hat. the nod. (the wink from the ladies). maybe its just this area.
in any case, if any of you should make a trip to the hampton roads VA area and see a guy in a black bimmer waving. DO NOT BE ALARMED! its just me, saying YO! [thumb]

Big Daddy

Being an older male, retired and already owning an M roadster, I'd buy the 540i. No real reason, I just like the bigger car. Heresy, I usually wave from the roadster, but flash my headlights when I am in the 7 or 318.[wave]

Tom

Staff Team
The 540i is a great car, excellent power and plenty of room. Between the 330i and M3, there is really no comparison other than you will be saving some money by going with the 330i.

Between the Cabrio and regular M3, the cabrio will be slightly heavier and thus a little slower, however if you like the feel of an open top than by all means.[:)]

demq

Heresy said:
bah! blasphemy!

im sorry, but if im cruisin im my 328 down the highway and an m3 owner pulled up beside me, id hope he'd be cool enough to wave before dusting me, i wouldnt attempt it in a 330 or 5 series either.
furthermore, if i was in an m3 i wouldnt bully my fellow bimmer friends. ill grit on a ricer any given day. but you have to have a little respect for your peeps.

i try to be cool with any other bmw drivers on the road. but i havent found any that will give 'the wave'
when im driving with my boss in his corvette, every other vette on the road, you'll see the wave coming from the driver. i thought that was pretty cool. so my first day with the bimmer, im waving to any other drivers on the road. how many have i got in return? zero. zip. nada.
now im not the bmw etiquette police, nor do i think EVERYONE should be happy go lucky, because i know im not for the most part. but i still try. looking for the tip of the hat. the nod. (the wink from the ladies). maybe its just this area.
in any case, if any of you should make a trip to the hampton roads VA area and see a guy in a black bimmer waving. DO NOT BE ALARMED! its just me, saying YO! [thumb]
I just moved to that area recently, and hej man I got a black bimmer to and like to wave to the other bimmer fellows if they don't look like jerks..[hihi]

About the M3 I personally would preffer it over the others, and I'd go with the coupe. It is smaller than 540, more powerful, lighter and that means faster than it. The 330 is the base for M3, they change the engine, the aerodinamics, transmission and refinig it, so it can be called M. If you can own a Bimmer with an M badge on it and will preffer a non-M one over it then you should go with other car make, something like Mercedes or Volvo....
About cabrio/coupe comparison, yeah it fells fun to have an open top, but I guess if you're going to get an M3 you are not going to
cruise and enjoy the view, but you are going to take it to high revs, so the noice of the wind will start really bothering you, and the coups are safer I guess.....
Anyway, good luck, and get an M3, it's a dream car...[burnout]
[wave]

P.S. I hope u will not forget to post some pics when you will get your new wheels....

I just bought my 1st bimmer, a 330ci convertible, aka 330cic, in April. I considered the M3 convertible, could have afforded it but couldn't justify it, being somewhat new to BMWs. HOWEVER! When I buy another vehicle the odds are VERY high that it will be either an M4 (in 3 - 4 years) or an M4 Roadster, if they decide to actually build it. I like the 330cic alot, but now I can justify the step up to the M!

The 330 has plenty of power for all your regular and fun driving, and 'ricer racing'. I have yet to do any driving where I thought the 330 was underpowered, even loaded with 2 adults, 2 teens and luggage. The M adds the 'kick in the butt' acceleration and the knowledge that you can smoke most of the cars on the road.

The backseat in the 330cic is usable and even comfortable, in my opinion. But there is not a lot of room to reposition how you sit. My teen daughters have sat in the back seat for 3 to 4 hours at a stretch and not complained.

If you go convertible, consider the hardtop option for $2300. It really fits and looks good and now you have the best of both worlds! Good luck on making a difficult choice!

Wave at me and I'll wave back![wave] [wave] Maybe this forum could get a trend started, just like the Corvette guys you saw. Jeep Wrangler drivers do the same thing in this area.

I ride motorcycles and there's a motorcycle waving thing that's just goofy. It depends on what part of the country you're in:

1. All bikers wave at all bikers
2. Harleys only wave at Harleys
3. Sport Bikers only wave at Sport Bikers
4. Sport Bikers wave at non-Harleys and give Harleys the finger
5. Harleys wave at Harleys and Beemers and nod at non-Sport Bikers and give Sport Bikers the finger

Go figure......

eh. im not all choked up about it. though i must admit, it would brighten my day if i pulled up next to an m3 and the driver gave me the tumbs up. that would say to me that this guy is a enthusiast and not just a cliche' rich @$$hole who can't take the time to motion a hello.
i hope i can post up here soon that i crossed paths with a real bmw owner and not just a guy driving an expensive cart.

aqua

So far this thread has taught me the importance of waving at each and every BMW owner that I meet. I haven't even bought the M3 and I have already started waving. I'm usually in my work truck (2003 Silverado Z71) so the response has been a bit...shall we say...thin.

I appreciate the responses! I am also very excited about the upcoming office race against the G35. I got yer back! Maybe you could challenge G35-Dad to a race for the corner office. Don't mention any specifics about the race...just say "the Bimmer versus your weak G35" then show up in a borrowed M3! If no one will loan an M3 to you...just schedule a test drive at the appropriate time. Good luck.

I have ruled out the 540i for now. I'm going for the M3 and I'll post pics as soon as I drive her home. Has anyone participated in the M driving school? If so, what are your thoughts on that experience? Thanks!

Aqua

excellent choice on the m3 Aqua. that would without a doubt be my first and only choice if i had the means to buy a new bimmer. though you havent brought it up, but im sure youve brought it into consideration, one thing some of my friends kept mentioning is the roominess of the 540i compared to the 3 series. well, i was a little bit worried that it was going to get cramped in my 328 sedan. let me tell you, i dont feel cramped at all. and though this doesnt apply to the m3 (unless you get a 4 door) but, even the back seat passengers in my car havent ever complained. i get more compliments on the sport seats than anything. Im no little guy either, im 5'11" and in my friends mustang, i feel cramped, not to mention clausterphobic if i have to get in the back!
that brings me to another important decision. all i have to say, is SPORT PACKAGE. you will be missing out if you dont get it.

demq

Heresy said:
excellent choice on the m3 Aqua. that would without a doubt be my first and only choice if i had the means to buy a new bimmer. though you havent brought it up, but im sure youve brought it into consideration, one thing some of my friends kept mentioning is the roominess of the 540i compared to the 3 series. well, i was a little bit worried that it was going to get cramped in my 328 sedan. let me tell you, i dont feel cramped at all. and though this doesnt apply to the m3 (unless you get a 4 door) but, even the back seat passengers in my car havent ever complained. i get more compliments on the sport seats than anything. Im no little guy either, im 5'11" and in my friends mustang, i feel cramped, not to mention clausterphobic if i have to get in the back!
that brings me to another important decision. all i have to say, is SPORT PACKAGE. you will be missing out if you dont get it.
Man u mean a sport package for an M(MOTORSPORT) car???[confused]
As far as I know there are a couple of options for M3, the most sporty of which is 19" wheels instead of standart 18" and SMG(man I want to try it so much) gearbox instead of the standart one ...[hihi]

Last edited:

aqua

Call me old school if you like but I'm leaning toward the manual transmission...not the SMG. Also, I kinda prefer the standard 18" rims.

I understand that the shift paddles give the car more of an F1 feel but I like ye old clutch and shifter myself. Although, I hear that 0-60 times are a bit better with the SMG. I think a plain M3 without any additional packages, (cold weather, etc.) is the ticket. I don't need seat heaters or power seats.

Test drive this weekend...I'm giddy [driving]

Oh...an E36 M3 blew by me today...very cool.

epj3

Yea i've noticed that real bikers always wave or nod, and that truck drivers always wave. I will give an M3 driver a thumbs up or something (and 98% of the time) they say thanks and give a [thumb]

Timmeh

M3 for ye, eh?

Hey Aqua- I too have agonized over what car to get. Started w/corolla, then camry, then figured on maybe a lexus- IS300 or GS400. For no good reason I wanted to try a BMW. 330 5speed, 540 6speed. Could not believe what I was missing out on. Wild hair made me think, hell try 'em all- test drove 6sp M3 and thought it doesn't get any better than this. A guy at the used lot @ dealership tossed me the keys to a SMG M3 w/ 14000 miles on it and said let's go! Got used to the paddles enough to tell whats what. Started doing mad homework on internet--not for everyone, but definitly what I'm gonna get. Real hard to get test drives inSMG M3s so check the boards on pluses and minuses- there were some extensive pages of info on SMG on the net and on this board. Best of luck and see you in my rear view mirror. Already with the attitude. Timmeh

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
Heresy said:
bah! blasphemy!

Ahhhhh if i see ya waving ill give you a nod hows that!!!![^]

unless your driving an X5 those guys just don't know what BMW driving is all about. with there high n mighty i've got a bigger car so im gonna cut you up and if you don't give way ill get big foot on your ass attitude[driving] [burnout] [mad] [8]

Aqua; I drive a 98 M Z3 Roadster. That is the only way to go. This car is a blast to drive and makes the rice burnners who realize what the car is druel!! There are the occassional rice burners that thinks their 130 HP cars that break the sound barrier with their Thrush Mufflers can take an M. It really is pretty funny listening to them rev their engines at a light. They have no clue what they are in for just seconds away!!!!

I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

I love my 330i performance Package, Imola Red-Black Leather. I have 2 kids and the car works for us and is stil very fun to drive. Hovever, it is not an M3, nor do I think it was intended to compete with the M3, stil a top performer, fun car that meets different customer requirements.[wave] [wave] [wave] [wave]