Might buy a bimmer.....

Tmoney

Need your guyz/gals opinion, as I admit I know jack about bimmers.

I'm looking at a '92 318iS, 5spd. It has 102Kkms (60Kmiles) and in the pics looks to be in good shape. so here comes the rookie questions (Im a mustang guy[:0] [:D] )

Its has an inline 4 banger, what kinda hp/tq did this engine produce in '92? Im hoping that the car is rwd, but I get the feeling it isn't, if someone could comfirm this that would be great. Are there and problems in particular known to this year and model? Anything I should look out for?

How realiable are bmw's, prices of parts for these cars I bet are unbeleiveable and I doubt I could repair them myself, I dont want a have to park the car when something goes and save up for repairs.

If anybody owns this model and can tell me what they do and dont like about it that would be great. I expect the car will be on the slow side with a n/a 4 cyl.

Please answer honestly. Here is a link to the ad, let know know what you think..... remeber prices are canadian.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=135546

welcome Go to www.bmwusa.com then used car model info.[welcome] it only goes down to 94 but should help you out. i dont have a bmw but i don know that there insurance can be high on certain models and repair cost can be really high on certain models

Last edited:

Tmoney

K thanks for the link, found out it has a whopping 138hp and 129lb/ft torque. And that was the '94 year, I hop insurance isn't too much. As for repairs costs, anybody else help me out here? For example, say the clutch needed replacing, how much would that set me back?

Hey Tmoney,
Glad to see another Vancouverite on the board.
Don'y know too much about that model but make sure you get an ICBC report on it. Get one yourself, even if the seller shows you one.
Also, make sure you see the service records/history. If the seller is the original owner, he should have allservice records from when he picjed it up. Dealership should also have these records. If there are none, then walk away. There are a lot of cars out there for sale so be patient.
Good luck!

Tmoney

Thanks for the advice BMWCA. I definitely would get an ICBC report before buying ANY car, only good thing about not having privitized insurance.

What do you guys think this car is worth?Aassuming it has had only a couple minor accidents like he claims and that its in as good of shape as the pictures show.

Tmoney said:
Thanks for the advice BMWCA. I definitely would get an ICBC report before buying ANY car, only good thing about not having privitized insurance.

What do you guys think this car is worth?Aassuming it has had only a couple minor accidents like he claims and that its in as good of shape as the pictures show.

do you have a link to the car???

injinuiti

according to edmunds.com (great car site btw) the 92 318is has a 1.8L 138hp engine with 129 ft-lbs of torque. And me being a pretty new person to BMW myself, I think that all BMWs made recently have rear wheel drive ( I think its a BMW trademark or something ). Edmunds.com also says its RWD. Heres the link to Specs on a 92 318is from edmunds.com linky

Check out buy&sell.
http://www.buysell.com/results.asp?id=2130&r=9&i=414
Looks like there are some good cars.
Also look at other years. I would avoid cars from used car lots, especially the ones on kingsway and main street. I have heard too many stories on these guys selling cars from out of province, wrecks, re-built etc.

Looks like $13,500 is a bit high. I noticed the seller 'thinks' the s in 318is means sport. I would think that a BMW owner would know what the s meant. Is he the original owner?

For that price, you might find a 93 or 94. Look around, don't fall in love with the first car you see.

Dont know where your shopping, but those prices are high. I found a 92' 325ic in amazing shape looked like just came off the show room floor, original owner, low milage, always completely detailed for life of car, for only 8k and that is the bigger engine. If you want a 318i you could get a 96 easly in emaculate condition for 11k.

Last edited:

Tmoney

ok thanks everyone, but remeber the price is canadian. Looks like I might not buy it anyways, I told himt the highest I would be able to go is 11,500-12,000, he said he wants higher, and Im not willing to pay any more, espeically since it sounds like its had a few accidents.

Looks like it is in good shape but you can find cheaper ones.

I just bought my 93 318i for $9400 (CND) with $160 KKms, not including my new rims it came with 16" BBS Style rims.

epj3

I dont think bmw has made a fwd car since the isetta (the 'erkel car'). RWD and AWD are the only drietrains they make [thumb]

And as others said, he's asking more than double the price of what these go for, i think 100,000km is around 60,000 miles...which will go for mayber 6,000. I think 13,500 can. is around 9,691.79 USD
[confused] still WAY too much.

Last edited: