midcross member fabrication (318i)

I don't know how techincal this board is supposed to be, but if you got the right tools, this one may not be so techincal.

I figured it was time to replace my old mid cross member bar because it had a dent on the right side. The old bar measured 1" in diameter, 31 1/2 " long, and had very thing walls.

Instead of spending more cash than aught to be spent on a new one, I made my own in the shop.

The new one I fabricated is 1 5/8's" diameter, 32" long, .120" wall thickness, 4130(i believe) steel. I also got some bolts from the hardware store that were grade 8, 10mm with a 155 thread pitch.(if you go to get yours, take the sleeves you make below, and the old bolts to get the right size)

First get some tubing 32 inches long, and some DOM tubing that is just a size bigger than 10mm in diameter.

Take the DOM and cut 2 smaller sections measuring 1 3/4" (these will be the sleeves for the bolts in the tubing)

Next take the 32" tubing and mark a center line on the 16" mark.

Now get under the car and bolt the sleeves into the holes with the new bolts, and measure inside edge to inside edge. You should get a number close to 29 1/4".

Now go back to your 32" tube, and measure 15" from the center line. Make a mark so you know where to drill.

Drill a hole big enough to hammer-fit(press fit, whatever) your sleeves into. My sleeves had a 3/4" outer diameter. So I made the holes exactly 3/4". I took the sleeves and beveled one end. Then took a die grinder and went around the top hole on the tubing twice. I then hammered the sleeves in with the bevel side down.

Next I bolted the tube under the car and tack welded the sleeves into place on the inside with a Mig welder.

I took the tube off and Tig welded the sleeves into place on the outside.

I next capped the ends of the tube with 18 guage sheet metal.

I then metal finished and primered the tube.

This bigger diameter, thicker walled cross member will provide more support for your unibody/frame, and it only cost about 18$ to make, provided you have the right tools.

Thats not to technical right?

Zach