Memory Key

EdSpider

Do I have to go to the dealer to change the memory key options? Seems like mine does nothing. I'd like the doors to lock when I take off, all doors unlock on first press, etc. I figured its just a question of finding the documentation.

Yes, you have to go to the dealer to get all these features programmed in.

The manual will tell you this too.[;)]

EdSpider

Memory Key Options, Alarm

I had my dealer reprogram my key for $50. He gave me a form where I checked off which options I wanted. I opted for auto lock upon drive off. I have that on my Lexus LS. The Lexus auto unlocks when you remove the key from the ignition. The BMW does not. You have to either press unlock, or pull the handle twice. I'm not too happy about that and might not have selected auto lock had I known that.

I also selected to have my seat and mirrors adjust to my settings when I unlock the car. I found out that only kicks in if the other key was used. If I manually move the seat, it doesn't return to my preset position. Since I'm the only driver, the feature is useless.

I left daytime running light option off.

I also had the BMW alarm added. They charged $282 for the alarm and about $170 to install it. I thought that was reasonable.

If you have never had your options set, your dealer should change them for you free of charge. It takes about 45 minutes and make sure you bring both keys with you!

I bought my 2000 323i CPO, salesman booked me a time with the service dept to activate options, no charge. I asked the salesman to do this 2 months after I purchased. He was happy to help. It took 20 minutes to do.

EdSpider

Salesman

Well I bought mine on ebay motors, so the dealer I took the car to didn't get anything. I don't mind the charge as much as the fact that this kind of stuff can't be done by the owner.

If they're going to charge you, maybe you can wait until you take it in for a service/oil change, and then get them to do it. They might not charge you, or at least give you a break on cost.