Lots Of Help Needed

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
Hey,

I've reached the point where performance mods are done and now i need a new head unit for my beast. i have an 1989 E30 Euro 325i the unit there at the moment was installed when the car was new!!![confused] anyway im after a new single cd/mp3 player tuner. unfortunatly when it comes to car audio i don't know my pre-amp from my sub. So i have lots of questions mainly what would you guys recomend. I have 2front 2 rear speakers there is no sub or anything (probably not gonna happen either) but i don't know where to start i hear alot about single din unit whats a din???? and will i need to buy anything extra for a new unit to actually work in my car. also im gonna get an E36 (95 onwards most likely) so will i need to change anything or will it go straight in????

Last edited:

illfos

well it's pretty simple...a DIN is the standard size opening in the dash board for a head unit. For instance cars could be din or din and a half or double din. You have a single din opening in the E30. So just go for a unit with both wire preouts and rca preouts for internal speakers and rca preouts for subwoofer, just in case you want to upgrade in the future. I like pioneer headunits, a lot of people say alpine or JVC. But to tell you the truth you can get any brand(except sony, they suck and need to stick to TVs) and it will be a good stereo. Try to get one that plays mp3 cds, you'll thank me later.
the round up hahah
single din, preouts...wire and rca for internals, rca for sub, any unit except sony, plays mp3 cds.

good luck dude

hey bear what's cooking? yeah get back to me on that amp upgrade. See ya

Not much goin' Illfos. My daughter is walkin' already. She can talk a little too. I have pics of her in the gallery if you wanna check 'em out.

Thanks for helpin' Mike for me.

Mikev. Post more if that doesn't help. If illfos doesn't respond, PM him or e-mail him. He knows his stuff.

I prefer Eclipse, or Alpine..Pioneer has good head units too...I sell Eclipse, Pioneer, Clarion, and Sony head units, and Eclipse out-sells any radio I have ever carried. They come with a 3 year warranty if we, the authorized dealer installs the unit(or any other authorized dealer wherever you buy it), also comes with the awesome security feauture ESN(Electronic Security Network), where you can program a disc of your choice(make sure you put it back somewhere at home) and if the radio loses constant power(changing battery in car, or radio being stolen), the radio locks up and must have that disc to unlock the radio to do anything. When you purchase the unit from us, we have you fill out your warranty card right there and then so we make sure you get the 3 year warranty...If the stealer tries to call Eclipse and find out how to unlock it, they must have all of your info plus your mothers maiden name. I have noticed that their cd players also play scratched cd's better than any other unit I have ever owned or sold. They look very simple and are very easy to use. Excellent radios, excellent quality, and that's what is in my BMW! if you have any questions email me at Dreamworksdes@aol.com or post here!

David

illfos

You know i always wondered why companies like eclipse and alpine make a headunit with all this safety code shit in it... i now understand, even though it doesn't do a damn thing, it's a great selling point. Does anyone really think that this is going to stop a thief. hahahah I am confused...ok wait i think i got it, maybe the guy breaks into your car, yanks out your stereo, then he realizes he stole a stereo that needs a code to operate it, then what???? he puts it back in your dash hahahah?? No the damn thing is gone. The person that breaks into your car doesn't care what the hell stereo you have, he just wants it. Don't spend extra on a headunit that has code safety, he does obsolutely nothing.
You know i have a rule that i always follow, never lock anything in the glove box. You know why? Cause if someone breaks into your car and then notices that the glove box is locked, he is going to wonder why. Then you know what he does...he rips the damn thing open. So now your shit is stolen, and your dash board is ripped apart. This is kinda the same thing. If i broke into a car and had the product knowledge to know that the stereo in the car needed a code, man i would beat the crap out of the inside of that car, because I wasted my time. ok thank you

illfos said:
You know i always wondered why companies like eclipse and alpine make a headunit with all this safety code shit in it... i now understand, even though it doesn't do a damn thing, it's a great selling point. Does anyone really think that this is going to stop a thief. hahahah I am confused...ok wait i think i got it, maybe the guy breaks into your car, yanks out your stereo, then he realizes he stole a stereo that needs a code to operate it, then what???? he puts it back in your dash hahahah?? No the damn thing is gone. The person that breaks into your car doesn't care what the hell stereo you have, he just wants it. Don't spend extra on a headunit that has code safety, he does obsolutely nothing.
You know i have a rule that i always follow, never lock anything in the glove box. You know why? Cause if someone breaks into your car and then notices that the glove box is locked, he is going to wonder why. Then you know what he does...he rips the damn thing open. So now your shit is stolen, and your dash board is ripped apart. This is kinda the same thing. If i broke into a car and had the product knowledge to know that the stereo in the car needed a code, man i would beat the crap out of the inside of that car, because I wasted my time. ok thank you
Oh, I guess I also forgot to point out that Eclipse has a 1 year theft protection program where if someone steals your radio within one year of purchase, Eclipse will send you a new one, BUT you must fax them your insurance card, and all the radio info so they can make sure you don't claim the same radio on your insurance and get a new radio and the money it is worth! I just now had to do the first one like that and have been selling Eclipse units for almost 2 years now. I have also noticed that alot less Eclipse units get stolen...Alot of thieves are car audio enthusiasts themselves so most of them know that Eclipse has the ESN feauture and most times, the probably pass up the car with the Eclipse unit in there...You not understanding why they do the theft protection thing is a product of your own ignorance...True it is a good selling point but look where it has gotten them! If one thief steals an Eclipse radio, hooks it up and realizes he can't use it, then he is gonna tell all of his other thief friends and the word spreads....Think about what you say before you say it...ESN was probably the smartest thing they could have ever integrated into their radios....

illfos said:
I like pioneer headunits, a lot of people say alpine or JVC. But to tell you the truth you can get any brand(except sony, they suck and need to stick to TVs) and it will be a good stereo.
You can get ANY radio? So that means he can go to his local Walmart and get a Jensen and be JUST as happy as he would with lets say a Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, Eclipse? That is the funniest thing I have seen in a while...You can get any radio..haha...what about voltage? What about buffering? Man there is so much more to a head unit than a name, I can't believe you would give someone advice to get just about any radio...BTW, I know how you feel on Sony, that's why they stay at the end of the display board, but they are getting back to being better, their downfall was in 99-00 and I think they are slowly getting back on their feet...But if fancy graphics and color changing faces are what some people want, I have to keep it in stock because some of these younger people don't care about sound quality and just want the graphics....

illfos

wow what is wrong with you...obviously you need to get a headunit that works with your car. You can't put a 24volt unit in a 12 volt car. If you didn't realize what I meant then you are just looking for something to criticize about my post. Oh and if that's the funniest thing you've seen in a while, you need to get out more. Go to the movies, i think there are some really funny movies out there right now. Have some fun, be young, and dumb...and lay off the drugs.

lay off the drugs??? what the hell is that supposed to mean? good example of another stupid remark from you....i never said anything about putting a 24 volt radio in the car either....if you have the right setup going with lets say the eclipse 8 volt preout radio you can tell a big difference compared to a regular cd player

The Eclipse radios are awsome. My downfall was they are expensive and when I bought mine I did not go the extra hundred bucks to get the head unit that can control a CD Changer. I have a single CD in dash and wish now that I had sprung for the next unit up. However the worst Eclipse is better than any other head unit on the market.