Lost Newbie

Pebbles

Need help, I have recently purchased a 1980 320 i, at the time when I purchased the vehicle it was a car just to get me around until I got my mini van repaired. Well I had the minivan repaired. But was not able to get rid of Felix (my BMW of course), in the use of the car the radiator fell and craked the fan and the radiator went bye, bye, So I had it repaired but it continued to get hot. Then one day while my fiancee was driving it he blew the head gaskets!!!! Well we had decided not to repair it since we keep on spending money on repairing his beamer (same year make and model), But I have seen so many of the same year and they look really nice. I need help on Who? or Where? should I turn to for repairs. Of course it would have to be some where that would not be so X-pensive...

Anyone, please suggestions should I keep it or should I not.

Big Daddy

Welcome to our forum. I do not know any repair shops in West Covina California, but there must be many. The 320i is a nice little car and if you can get her repaired for a small sum she should be good transportation. Of course at this point are you better off rebuilding the entire engine? How many miles are on the car? And FYI it is a Bimmer, not a Beamer.

Pebbles

Thanks for the correction Big Daddy! I knew something looked wrong but like I said I'm new to this and would love to have this little car repaired, detailed and all but need to know what the dammage of the bill would be. I was considering getting the engine rebuilt, but I did not know if that was best. The car's odometer does not work so I really don't know how many miles it has[???1]

I would like to know if you would be able to give me pointers on what's best and maybe looking on a few websites on restoring the vehicle any information would be appreciated.

Thank's,
Pebbles

Ben

Pebbles said:
in the use of the car the radiator fell and craked the fan and the radiator went bye, bye
i had that same problem with a 1983 320i, gotta make sure those things are really in there. i dont know what your budget is, i chose not to repair it because it had way to many things wrong with it and i didnt have enough money, but in the long run it is a very efficient car that you can have alot of fun in. id say if funds permit, go for it.[thumb]
ben

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
The easiest thing to do is learn how to repair it yourself. Save time, money, plus it gives you something to do when you get bored. There are drawbacks to this of course. My friends and I got extremely trashed one night and decided in a drunken stupor that it would be a good idea to take my 318 apart. Try to guess what my face looked like when I woke up the next morning to find my car on jackstands with the wheels, strut towers, brakes, rotors, swaybars, strut tower brace, and other assorted parts laying around the garage.[ohcrap] [80?]

Pebbles

WOW [eek] ! You guys did all of that in one night. Impressive. Duh! but impressive.

Anyway how would I go about learning how to do repairs my self. [burnout] Let me know what you did to learn all of the above mentioned.

Thanks, for your input

Pebbles

Ben

i found the best way to learn to do something is by doing it. thats how ive done most of the stuff to my car. there will be some things that you do and than realize "what an idiot i was" there was a short cut that would have saved half the time, but thats all about learning. get yourself a bently service manual (something i have yet to do[?|] ) i heard theyre the best, and just follow the steps and everything should work out ok. then you get to the problem of tools......... maybe its not a problem i dunno. just my thoughts.
ben

Last edited: