jrtoons - CD changer connectors

jrtoons -

Did you ever determine if your changer has 3 connection as opposed to 2? My coaxial plug is not used on my changer and I have the DSP system.

Thanks.

Yeah - I sent you a private message and a long winded reply on the old board software.

I have 3 connections including the coax/fiber.

Since you didn't reply I didn't go any further with it.

I'll pull it off this weekend and see what happens.

I'lll keep you posted.

Rained all weekend so I'll try to pull off the coax tomorrow.

That article doesn't mention wether it works with the DSP option. I'll give them a call.

I had the dealer throw in the changer as part of the purchase deal in addition to the $5K off sticker (2003 540i 6-speed with DSP.) Nice.

I don't know the production date but I took delivery on 3/4/2003 and it had just got off the boat in Newark NJ about a week before. How do you tell the production date?

jrtoons said:
Rained all weekend so I'll try to pull off the coax tomorrow.

That article doesn't mention wether it works with the DSP option. I'll give them a call.

I had the dealer throw in the changer as part of the purchase deal in addition to the $5K off sticker (2003 540i 6-speed with DSP.) Nice.

I don't know the production date but I took delivery on 3/4/2003 and it had just got off the boat in Newark NJ about a week before. How do you tell the production date?
On the VIN Plate which should be on the B-Pillar (Pillar that separates the driver and rear passenger door) on the driver's side. The 4 digits on the top right of the VIN plate is the manufacturing date of the vehicle. My is 05/03 (May 2003).

My connection is definitely optical digital.

fiber off = no sound; fiber on = sound

My guess is the head unit/DSP amp has a setting to accept input from the optical digital output from the CD player or the standard wired connection.

If yours works it is using the wired connection and mine is using the optical.

Call a dealer and find out if they know anything[rolleyes] (yeah right)

My manufacture date is 12/02

I wonder if that means my system is more flexible, like being able to accept Sirius adapter or something.

Another thing, mine is Nav equipped. Do have the widescreen Nav?

Thanks for checking.

Optical Digital is very clean and almost impervious to interference, that is why I use all optical digital in my home entertainment system for the digital sources (CD, DVD, XBOX.) I would expect that the same is true for car audio. Since the signal is a very short optical signal, there should be an exact bit-for-bit reproduction of the CD source. Otherwise, the digital source must be converted to analog to go over the copper wires then converted back to digital for the DSP to do it's thing.

I do not have the NAV but that shouldn't make any difference when you are talking about the feed from the CD player.

Thanks for the update.

Which is the DSP amplifier? My system sort of looks like the following:

http://www.eurobuyers.com/instinstr/cdinstall.html

The DVD Nav is up on top.

The Silver unit below it is actually black in my car.

I have a sliver unit to the left of the first picture, rotated 90 degrees and flush with the rear of the trunk.

My Changer mounts as shown.

I do not have an optical cable anywhere in the car. Only the two regular plugs. Do you think I should go to the dealer and find out what's up? Maybe the techs who actually install the Changer at the dealer for $300 know why I don't need the hook up [8]

But it is interesting that my changer connects w/o optical and yours requires optical. Without hearing what an optical connection sounds like in a 5 series w/DSP, I don't think I would be able to tell the difference, if any.

As for the Aux input, the instructions only say it will work with cars made from 09/02 on. Doesn't say anything about DSP

http://www.eurobuyers.com/instinstr/auxkitdir.pdf

Last edited:
The unit that is under the NAV unit and is up against the fender (the silver box in the picture) is the amp. There should be an optical input on the top of it.

My amp has the additional bracket that the article mentions.

I agree with the optical vs. copper argument in that with regular CDs, I would not be able to tell the diff but when it comes to surround sound that is where the optical/digital kicks in. In addition, since I do not have that in my car I think it is a moot point.

Tag the dealer and see if they come up with anything.