Is the X3 really a compact 4WD?

When the X3 was first announced, I thought 'this is perfect'. My wife and I love 4WD's but prefer more compact models. The problem was that there was nothing around that was real quality. In comes the X3, and I thought that I'd found our next car... [^]

Now I learn that the dimensions of the X3 are almost identical to the X5 (ie. only 41mm lower, 102mm shorter, 19mm narrower, 25mm shorter wheelbase and 355kg lighter). These are not startling figures (apart from the weight comparison).

So my question is, does this car really appear and drive like a compact version of the X5? The styling is more compact, so maybe that effects the feel.

dsheehan

I just got my X3 2.5 this week. I had a RAV 4 which is definately small. The X3 is very quiet, very responsive, and does not make me feel like I am driving a hog. Maybe because it is so tight. It has a spacious feel on the inside, especially with the moon roof option (which is the bomb, by the way.) I think you would like it.

The only thing that did not come across on my test drive is the firmness of the suspension. ie, it is truly a bumpier ride than I expected. But, it is still a ton smoother than my RAV4.

dsheehan said:
I just got my X3 2.5 this week. I had a RAV 4 which is definately small. The X3 is very quiet, very responsive, and does not make me feel like I am driving a hog. Maybe because it is so tight. It has a spacious feel on the inside, especially with the moon roof option (which is the bomb, by the way.) I think you would like it.

The only thing that did not come across on my test drive is the firmness of the suspension. ie, it is truly a bumpier ride than I expected. But, it is still a ton smoother than my RAV4.
Thanks dsheehan. What about it's exterior appearance. I've yet to see one in the flesh cause they're not due in Australia til next month. How do they look in person compared to the X5...in terms of size.

The styling seems more compact, even though the specs tell me that they're almost the same size.

dsheehan

The x5 looks as trim as Homer Simpson. The x3 is much more sleek and is true to the photos you have seen. The inside is amazingly spacious, especially with a lighter color other than black.

Bottom line, it looks much smaller than the x5.

I'm on day 5 and like it more each day!