Holt sh!t!!!!!!

Ben

theyre saying it will be back in a matter of hours[screwy] [duh] knowing new york ittl probably be more like a few days.

ill tell you one thing, i am sick of this local NY tv news coverage. im sittin pretty with the lights on the and the AC pumping, but i almost envy people only 30 miles north of me because they arent subjected to this mindless drivel on tv

Ben

yeah youd think NY was the only place in the world. they didnt show anything else. they said "ok now we're gonna show you other states that dont have power" but they just kept it on NY.[duh]

Well guys, this is my specialty.. I'm sitting here as an on-call standby control authority for power (distribution) switching in Central MA. We are in conjunction with Niagra Mohawk and just had a conference call with all the VP's. Basically it seems no one has any idea what is going on. Power is starting to be picked up within the Niagra Mohawk area (roughly 50% is back up). This does NOT count the Con Edison problems (I do not know where they stand). I know a lot of the power supply points, nuclear reactors and generators are down at this point and will take some time to come back on. So don't trust that news that it will be a "few" hours. It's going to be quite some time before the cities get picked up.

Every city is based on multiple small network grids that all need to be controlled separetly and turned on separetly. I hear its quite the complex situation in NYC, and considering its still totally out of power.. It will be quite some time..

I'll keep you guys up to date one what else I hear, but for now thats all we know in the Power Biz..

epj3

PP & L is pumpin the 'lectricity out like a mofo here in PA. wee electricity.

I loose electricity once every like 4 years (not couting storms -- which doesnt happen often either)

Well everyone, I am back.

I ended up staying in the office on standby until around midnight. We had all of our substations manned with O&M staff from 6pm yesterday till present and they will probably stay there until around noon or later today.

We had a conference call at 8am this morning, and Ni-Mo had lost about 18,000+Mega Watts of load due to yesterdays outage. As of now, all of Ni-Mo's system is up and running 100%, but the grid is very fragile due to hi-line feeds going to NYC and most of the nuclear plants being offline still.

A total of about 1.25 million of the total 1.5 million customers served by Ni-Mo were without power. The rumored lightning strike at the grid by Niagra falls was NOT the cause of the outage, considering that grid NEVER went offline. Fingers are now starting to be pointed out towards the Ohio area.

4 of the 11 Nuclear plants are online now, and the system is going to be extremely fragile until they are up and running. Typically it will take 24-72 hours to get them up and running, so obviously that is how long the system will be fragile for. For now, Fossil Fuel plants are being run at 100% just to try and get everyone up and running.

Besides that, not much is going on, and the restoration effort continues as you can see on CNN. I'll keep you guys up to date if I find out anymore..

See what happens in a case like this, is typically there are two high line feds to different areas (Primary and Alternate), but that also have backup ties. Something must have happened where the two main feeds went down for an area, say detriot (just an example), so another highline connected now to ottowa tries to pick up the load and it switches over. However that line is now trying to support ottowa and detriot, and if the load is too high, the line will trip out to physically prevent itself from burning out. Now Ottowa will be picked up from its back up, which can't handle the load and the whole system will trip out as a chain reaction and all the power plants shut down for protection causing the outage that occurred.
Basically no one has heard what started the chain reaction, but as far as I know, there were supposed to be safeguards in place to prevent a domino effect. Some of them worked, which is why Massachusetts stayed online. Our tie was tripped automatically from Canada at 4pm right when this happened and we stayed on our primary source and weren't feeding back to NY. If that system had failed and didn't trip out, MA would have been out of power too.

Just so you guys know, this is a very general description of what happens, the system is much more complex.

But the finger is pointed towards Ottowa, for the general suspicion of where the chain reaction started. But don't take my word on it, its just speculation by our VP's...

interesting reports you guys, thanks for that. how old is the grid system anyway? i mean normally those happenings should not happen. i know and j2azz already it, there are guards, but they do not seem to be very efficient, so how old is it? anyone knows? just curious because i heard a hillary clinton interview yesterday and another funny jerk that said that other power supplies like wind and sun have to be pushed as the old plants are as said too old (but still the power from sun and wing energy has to tranportet via the grid and that's whty i call him that jerk)...