Getting an M3 (ordered), have some questions.

Just wondering... is there anything I should do/check for when getting the M3.

I hear the service department test drives em before selling them in order to check through a set of criteria etc.

Apparently the car can come anywhere between 11 KM to 30 KM on it (which I don't like the sound of) as anyone working in the service department could easily trash the car on the road while taking it for a "test".

It is not a demo or a display car either (ordered 3 months ago).

Any ideas on what actually goes on behind the scenes, let me know.

If there are any pitfalls or issues that you think are worth noting or taking note of before handing over a generous 6 figures, then post them up to. Thanks.

epj3

That's really not that far, remember, after they first start the car the miles start going up. The car has to be driven from the factory to a LARGE parking lot, to the truck, then from parking lot to the truck to a truck, truck to a boat, then boat to another large parking lot, then that parking lot to the truck and so on. Dont worry about the dealer taking the cars out and whipping them around -- they could do it any day with someone else's car that is in for service and already is broken in.

My M3 had 8 miles on it when I took possession. You have to remember that after manufacture, they are driven to transportation, (truck I assume), which delivers to the docks. Then driven onto the ship, and back off of the ship to the VPC. The VPC drives them around various places for inspection, then line them up for delivery. They are then driven onto the truck and off when arriving at the dealership. The dealership then drives them around for inspection and prep work before finally ending up in the show room.

True that.

A dealer once told me you could check out the "average speed" via the main computer in the M3... this should give you an indication as to weather it has been "trashed" (driven wildly) or not.

But then again, there are alot of other factors to take into account, not a really reliable measure.