Do your lights come on automatically at night?

alex_c

All of my prior (non-BMW) cars have had a feature where the headlights come on automatically when it's dark. I don't see that on my 2000 540i has that feature. Am I missing something?
[???1]

Thanks,
Alex

03Z4

Alex-

As a part of the Convenience Package on my 2003 Z4, there is an "automatic" setting for the lights. They turn on at dusk, and off when it gets light. Of course, they turn on too early and off too late, but I understand that this can be adjusted.

Not sure if it was an option on '00, or on your car. I'm gonna guess that if you don't have it, the car was just ordered w/o it.

Auto headlights is such a dumb feature. The only thing I like about it is that if you turn on your windshield wipers (when it's raining), usually the auto headlights will turn on as well. I firmly believe in driving with your lights on when it's raining, as it significantly enhances visibility. But normally, I'll turn my lights on/off when I feel the timing is right, thank you very much.

In my opinion I never really saw the point in the auto-on lights. It annoys me whenever a newer Euro car is behind me when going under a tunnel you see the HIDs flash in your mirrors. It's a little blinding at times. But then again, that's just me. [?|]