College

Ok friends, I am having some difficulty selecting a college. Since some of you live out west, and have most likely travelled more than i have i will value your opinions.

The states i am willing to go to school in:
California
Oregon
Washington
Colorado
Montana

My Interests:
Alpine Skiing
Alpine Skiing
Alpine Skiing
Jazz
Driving
Networking

other stuff

i need a computer science program most likely, and i like a lot of outdoors stuff along with my nerdy life. also a school that doesn't require a 4.0 and 40k a year would be nice, but please post even if that is your only recommendation.

Thank you very much.

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
Col. State has a decent comm. program, and the skiing would be the best (have a friend that goes there)
University of Redlands has some decent comp. programs and is only about 1.5 hrs. away from big bear (driving in So. Cal. sucks though, it is only 3.5 hrs. away from Vegas Baby!)
UCLA also has good programs.
(Cost of living in Cali is sh!t, Colorado is much better in that respect)
don't know anything about colleges in the other states[thumb]

PuShAkOv

2000 Post Club
It doesn't make much difference to what college you go.. it is what you make of yourself while you are there that will make all the difference.

You can come down south to a SEC school [;)] Hell, I'm go to LSU. It's hella fun and a great Landscape Architecture program. All the schools down here in the south have a lot to offer, but it is a ways away from the west coast.

Also, I have a friend doing computer stuff (not really sure what it is) at Univ. of Col. in Boulder. He loves it there.

frolf, you can't go wrong with the Great Northwest (Washington in gerneral). This is the place if you want outdoor activities. Skiing, hiking, mountain (lots of mountains) biking, waterskiing, etc... The University of Washington is a great college, however if your on a tight budget you can go to a community college with great networking programs. I went to a community college for networking and I have a very very good job now. I believe you really don't need top college to make it in the buisness. Save some money and use it with your outdoor activities. [thumb] I am sure there are many states that will offer you the same kind of fun too.

P.S. You wouldn't believe how much fun it is to drive on the twisty mountain roads. [driving] [:)]

Dave8812

University of Montana is AWSOME. Its in Missoula. Good courses and good teachers. Only like 15 minutes away from a kick-ass ski area. Fun place too. And there arent way to many people, its just right! By the way, the chicks are HHHHHHOOOOOOTTTTTTT!!!!!!![hihi][hihi][hihi] (The only reason i know this is beacause i took a vacation up there)

epj3

frolf said:
that or lunch. or maybe "how to waste money"

OOOH my god i have the perfect school for you -- where i am going to go -- but it's in PA. www.pct.edu penn college of technology. It is a real college and the campus and professors impressed me more than penn state university's campus. They ARE affiliated with pennstate. Located in FREEZING cold and boring williamsport with many places to ski. There are also absolutely awesome back roads out there that nobody ever drives on.

I am going to go there for 2 years, then possibly transfer to penn state for the last 2 yeras and get my BS, just depends on how social I am feeling. If i dont go to pennstate then I'll just stay at williamsport for 2 more years and get my BS there. Pretty much the same thing except pct is a little quieter, dorms are MUCH nicer (4 people to 1 bathroom/2 bedrooms/1 kitchen) and they have an automotive technology department, which repairs your car for free (except for parts)

Oh yea their networking/computer classes are known to be very good, and the 90% job placement rating isnt bad [:)]

Last edited:
epj3 said:
Oh yea their networking/computer classes are known to be very good, and the 90% job placement rating isnt bad [:)]
I wonder what everyone job placement percentages are going to look like in another year or two. They're giving you percentages from when the economy was booming. ...at least that's what I would imagine. I could be wrong, though. [paranoid]

epj3

Bear6360 said:
I wonder what everyone job placement percentages are going to look like in another year or two. They're giving you percentages from when the economy was booming. ...at least that's what I would imagine. I could be wrong, though. [paranoid]
Yea, but I heard on the radio (yes, given it WAS an ad for a school trying to get students..) saying that the market for networking will be booming in 4 or 5 years --- right when I will be getting out of college. Woohoo $$[:D]$$