BUGATTI VEYRON( Super Car))

ILuvBMW

I agree, if I had that thing I couldn't drive it. Imagine if you got a tiny dent or scratch? I would place it in an airtight compartment and not touch it.

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
thats boaring. if you had enough money to buy and run the veyron then you would more than likely have enough to buy 10. so id race it wreck it buy another then go on the gumball players run and all the european events. then id get board and go full contact destruction derby in a bently arnarge T just for the sake of wasting money (but winning)[:D] [driving]

1001 bhp are 998 hp??

where does that calculation come from?

there are several hp's outthere, so let's start with that:

DIN-HP = power of the engine including all losses due to alternator and water pump etc.
SAE-HP = power of the engine without above losses

What sort of HP is the 998 you wrote?

mikev

Wadula said:
1001 bhp are 998 hp??

where does that calculation come from?

there are several hp's outthere, so let's start with that:

DIN-HP = power of the engine including all losses due to alternator and water pump etc.
SAE-HP = power of the engine without above losses

What sort of HP is the 998 you wrote?
European cars are usually measured in DIN and the BV is 1000Bhp at least that was the mark they went for.

Nice and it would be fun to drive once to check it out. It would sure be hard to justify that kind of money though. I guess if someone has upwards of 20+ million or so in assets I suppose it could be an option. If I were in that position I think I would choose to have a number of vehicles. Just imagine what you could buy for that.

M-3 Conv. [driving]

M-5 [driving]

Bentley[driving]

X-5[driving]

Porsche[driving]

And depending on the Porsche model, possibly some cash left over. [:D]

mikev

Wadula said:
So far so good, but what is the 998 that were posted? DIN or SAE?
i dunno but car mags are always contradicting each oter and getting it plain wrong as well. If the 998 was SAE it would make no sense i would think that AIR_CON, WATER PUMP, ALTERNATOR etc would take more thn 2 or 3 Bhp. unless AUDI/BUGATTI have come up with the best engine in the world.

mikev said:
i dunno but car mags are always contradicting each oter and getting it plain wrong as well. If the 998 was SAE it would make no sense i would think that AIR_CON, WATER PUMP, ALTERNATOR etc would take more thn 2 or 3 Bhp. unless AUDI/BUGATTI have come up with the best engine in the world.

Exactly and that is why i asked for the unit or way of measurement.

Blah Blah - if you have 1001 bhp what the hell does 3 hp matter?? Here is a little info on HP

DIN Horsepower
This is a standard, DIN 70020, for measuring horsepower that very closely matches SAE net. The conditions of the test vary slightly, but the required equipment on the engine and the point of measurement (flywheel) remains the same. Because the test conditions are so similar, it is safe to divide DIN horsepower by 1.0139 to arrive at SAE net. This value is so close to equal that for all but the most technical purposes DIN and SAE net are interchangeable.

Brake Horsepower
Often road test magazines will list horsepower as "bhp". This is just another way to talk about SAE net horsepower.

For more info, check out this out: http://neptune.spacebears.com/opine/horsepwr.html

So this car actually has 1015 HP (DIN)

Abdoman said:
Blah Blah - if you have 1001 bhp what the hell does 3 hp matter?? Here is a little info on HP

DIN Horsepower
This is a standard, DIN 70020, for measuring horsepower that very closely matches SAE net. The conditions of the test vary slightly, but the required equipment on the engine and the point of measurement (flywheel) remains the same. Because the test conditions are so similar, it is safe to divide DIN horsepower by 1.0139 to arrive at SAE net. This value is so close to equal that for all but the most technical purposes DIN and SAE net are interchangeable.

Brake Horsepower
Often road test magazines will list horsepower as "bhp". This is just another way to talk about SAE net horsepower.

For more info, check out this out: http://neptune.spacebears.com/opine/horsepwr.html

So this car actually has 1015 HP (DIN)

There is no factor you can use to come from DIN to SAE. DIN is with all, alternator and stuff. SAE without. As you can not predict how much the impact of those peripherals is without a real measurement, you don't know how much DIN HP a SAE HP car would have.

Furthermore the 1.0139 is not SAE to DIN, but BHP to DIN. BHP is 0.7457 KW, DIN 0.7355 KW. That is the factor 1.0139. In the end that comes up that 1001 BHP are 987 DIN HP...

But, you are right....with 1000 hp, who cares for 10 plus or less [rofl]

There is no factor you can use to come from DIN to SAE. DIN is with all, alternator and stuff. SAE without. As you can not predict how much the impact of those peripherals is without a real measurement, you don't know how much DIN HP a SAE HP car would have.
On the web site SAE = bhp

SAE Net Horspower In 1972, American manufacturers phased in SAE net horsepower. This is the standard on which current American ratings are based. This rating is measured at the flywheel, on an engine dyno, but the engine is tested with all accessories installed, including a full exhaust system, all pumps, the alternator, the starter, and emissions controls. Both SAE net and SAE gross horsepower test procedures are documented in Society of Automotive Engineers standard J1349. Because SAE net is so common, this is the standard we will use to compare all others.
see http://neptune.spacebears.com/opine/horsepwr.html for the quote.

Assuming the web sight is right, I will check into it, both tests require all the accessories.

epj3

Well, the car is fu*king amazing, but honestly, I appreciate the styling of the Vanquish more (atleast within super/exotic cars).

I think the vanquish is just a super sexy car.

So the what you are talking about is SAE Gross, not SAE net. SAE net includes all the accessories, while SAE Gross does not. This means that there actually is a conversion from SAE Net to DIN, but not to SAE Gross, which doesn't include the accessories. This web site states that SAE net = bhp therefore, since the car has 1001 bhp, 1001 bhp = 1001 hp SAE net. This means that conversion to DIN is valid in this case and this car, could in theory have 1015 hp DIN.

But then, if you have 1001 hp, what is 14 HP[:p]

This is all very confusing! English units, metric units I hate conversions!