breaking in new bmw

Hey guys, i'm brand new to the bimmer world and have a 2004 325ci on order. I've heard people mention taking it easy for the first 1200 miles or so. Could someone else elaborate on this and anything else i should be aware of to break in my new car ? Thanks !

Welcome and Congratulations! You are now experiencing the agony of waiting for a new BMW!!!

Break-in information is mentioned in the owner's manual. The 2 things I know of:
1. Engine speed at or below 3000 RPM. This presumably is to minimize pressures in the engine until the piston rings seat.

2. Constantly vary the engine speed. What that really means is don't lock in the cruise control at a fixed speed and stay there. I was also told this when I bought my GMC Suburban. The dealer said that it was to prevent a condition that might occur called "Set". Supposedly the constant vibration frequency at a fixed RPM when the engine is new can cause bolts to vibrate loose. I dunno, I guess it's possible....

One other tip -
Since the car's new, you probably want to keep it looking that way. Go to the Detailing Discussion area and read Vlad's *EXCELLENT* Detailing document. My 330cic is just 4 months old and I am following his guidelines to keep it looking great for a long time!

Last edited:

wacko3

I believe it does give break-in instructions in the manual. Anyways, what you're doing with the break-in is to do the final polishing on the cylinders. Did I get that right? Mike! Where are you?

Here's a link to take a look at. Personally, I would not do what the guy is suggesting, except maybe to my lawnmower. However, the guy does explain what happens in a break-in process.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

[welcome]

It's hard keeping it the revs down. I'm really curious as to how fast my car is (seems slower than I expected). I'm only at @300 miles so far with mine. Also, remember to be real gentle on the breaks while they set. I've been pretty gentle with mine, but I still find it hard to stop smoothly. They're a bit grabby when I come to a complete stop. Plus, the brake dust is insane.

Watch the paint. I've stopped following cars as close now. I used to leave about 2 car lengths when I drove the civic and didn't care about rock chips. Now, I leave like 5. Pisses people off on the freeway, but I noticed they can't drive anyways so they'd be pissed regardless. Stupid lady almost hit me yesterday cuz she couldn't be bothered to look out her side window (I was right next to her).

Oh, and just click on my signature to see how Titanium Silver looks.

just be gentle on the engine for a while (like 1250 miles) then gradually start getting rougher with the throttle. dont worry about accidentally flooring in the first 1250 miles just dont do it every day. (if flooring say 3 times in the first 1250 would ruin the engine Bmw wouldnt be in business) =) as far as that vary engine speeds thing goes ... thats correct (and the most important). dont go on any long trips or anything and keep the engine at the same speed. if you do have to go on a trip vary from say 65-80 mph constantly. the point to all this is that go easy at first and end up at 2000 miles running the car like you want to =)

just my .02$

Ben

Seems like this breakin thing is not for cars alone. I had to do the same thing with my "03 harley. First 500 miles topping out at 50 MPH and varring the speed until 750 miles. It was tough but well worth it.

Welcome and enjoy the ride!![burnout]

ZachD

I had a hard time deciding between the titanium silver and silver grey too. Those two are definetly my favorite colors. The only way I could make my decision was on which dealership had the better deal.