BMW sues Infiniti over M badging, and wins

We discussed this back when Infiniti first started advertising the M45. But it seems this lawsuit was kept pretty quiet. Do they now have to sue in the US for a ruling, or does the Canadian ruling have bearing here?

========================================================

BMW has prevailed over Infiniti in a court battle over the letter M.

The ruling by Federal Court Justice W. Andrew MacKay found that the use of the letter by Infiniti, the premium brand of Japanese carmaker Nissan, "in form similar to that of the plaintiffs' trademark M alone, and its use of M6 as a package for modifying one of its vehicles, cause confusion in Canada between the sources of the wares of the defendant and the wares of the plaintiffs."

BMW has been adding M badges to souped-up versions of its already high-performance cars since 1978 in Germany and 1987 in Canada, when the M6 arrived, followed by the M3, the M5 and other variants.

The German carmaker argued that these vehicles have come to be known, "particularly by auto journalists and car enthusiasts," as M cars which enhance the image and sales of the rest of its fleet.

Infiniti, meanwhile, registered M45 in 2004 and M35 in 2005 as trademarks for sedans in the middle of its range, and in some advertising has used the letter M alone. It also offered an M6 sport package for its lower-priced G35.

The judge found Nissan "liable, in damages to be determined . . . for the use of the letter M and the descriptor M6, as trademarks for automobiles, parts and accessories, which caused a likelihood of confusion between the sources of its wares and of BMW's."

Nissan was barred from directing public attention to its products in any way likely to cause confusion.

"The defendant is also ordered to deliver to the plaintiffs or to destroy under oath, all literature, invoices, packaging, signs, advertisements, promotional or marketing material, printed or otherwise recorded, in the possession, custody or control of the defendant which may be considered to offend the injunction now granted."

Submissions will be considered later on monetary damages and legal costs.

bmw046series

1000 Post Club
I posted this on Jabbasworld. ts03m3 something has to be "worth it" to become a collector piece.

If Datsun has any brains they would follow suit and stop advertising it as the M in the USA, Kirby it doesn't have bearing however like I said they'd be pretty stupid to keep doing it, it would just cost them more money.

Datsun tried to sue Audi when the Q7 came out and failed, Audi announced the Q7 and it took forever to come to market (Porsche Cayenne) so Datsun created the QX while it was being developed, Datsun obviously lost.

well, i think the badging can be confusing sometimes- tho i'm not sure when it merits a lawsuit. in infiniti's case their car is M35 which is close to M3. and, the lowest common denominator has to be the deciding factor, i think- which would be a new buyer unfamiliar to both brands. if they were given M35 and M3, they might think they were related. and, in this case, it would be unfair to bmw to have their model- which has been around much longer- diluted by newcomer infiniti.

I really can't see many people getting an M35 Infiniti confused with an M3, though. I seriously doubt there are many people out there that think the cars are related in some way. However, I do think the use of the M6 name by Infiniti is wrong, though. That's clearly an exploitation of the success and brand recognition of BMW's M6.

BMW has invested tens of millions of dollars building the "M" as a brand. It's called intellectual property. If you do not assert your ownership of that property, you in essence are giving those rights to others. The law is pretty clear in most developed countries stating any and all infringements must be challenge. Hence, Microsoft, Google and other "big-boys" always appear to be picking on the little guys who try to profit from ideas or products that do belong to them.

yes. if u don't challenge the infringement, over time it's like silently saying yes to sharing the name. i always thought mazda should've sued lexus over the use of RX for similar reasons.

I'm not a big fan of lawsuits, but I'm glad BMW took this to court. For once the Japanese manufacturers may have to come up with an original idea of their own instead of their long used concept of "Making it our own"!

Feff