Audi Coupe GT owner considering a late 80/early 90's 325. Honest opinions.

Phreon

I'm not a complete BMW virgin, as I owned a 1980 BMW 528i at one time, but it's been quite some time.

I'll be honest, I'm dearly in love with my ol' 1985 Audi Coupe GT, but the time has come to put it out to pasture.

I know a 325 will be considerably faster than my old Audi, but how does it handle? Is it as much raw fun? I hate sterile cars that separate you from your machine, the feel of the road, the growl of the engine.

I've heard that the 325's can be a bit unforgiving at times, especially in the rain, and that they are more straight line highway rockets than their Audi conterparts. In your honest, flame free opinion, do you think this is true?

How tunable are Bimmers of this vintage? And at what cost? One of the great virtues of the older Audi 5Cyl was the multitude of intermodel engine part swaps one can perform. Can one perform junkyard upgrades on BMW's or is tuning them a rich boy's passion?

Thanks,

Phreon

epj3

Phreon said:
I'm not a complete BMW virgin, as I owned a 1980 BMW 528i at one time, but it's been quite some time.

I'll be honest, I'm dearly in love with my ol' 1985 Audi Coupe GT, but the time has come to put it out to pasture.

I know a 325 will be considerably faster than my old Audi, but how does it handle? Is it as much raw fun? I hate sterile cars that separate you from your machine, the feel of the road, the growl of the engine.

I've heard that the 325's can be a bit unforgiving at times, especially in the rain, and that they are more straight line highway rockets than their Audi conterparts. In your honest, flame free opinion, do you think this is true?

How tunable are Bimmers of this vintage? And at what cost? One of the great virtues of the older Audi 5Cyl was the multitude of intermodel engine part swaps one can perform. Can one perform junkyard upgrades on BMW's or is tuning them a rich boy's passion?

Thanks,

Phreon
BMW isnt called the ultimate driving machine for advertising purposes...it really is the ultimate driving machine. They are built so the driver has to be involved, and that is why so many people get manual transmissions with their bmw's.

george

1000 Post Club
"""I've heard that the 325's can be a bit unforgiving at times, especially in the rain, and that they are more straight line highway rockets than their Audi conterparts. In your honest, flame free opinion, do you think this is true?"""

you must frequent to many audi forums or something.... if you only would have been in my car last friday night after i left my friends house party up in the hills ill tell you!!! my BMW would have blown your mind away coming down those twisties!!![driving]

Dave8812

Mine is 23 years old. Besides the kinda-worn-out struts and shocks that need to be replaced soon, it handels awsome! It just sticks to the road, like a go-cart!!!!(not really just felt like saying that!)[fake]

as far as i know, the older 3 series, E30, sometimes really need a driver who knows what he is doing. if driven just as usual the car should be fairly neutral and safe/ but when forced and driven fast the back, especially in rain, can develope some independant thoughts. that's at least what i heard. i never drove a E30 myself.

epj3

Wadula said:
as far as i know, the older 3 series, E30, sometimes really need a driver who knows what he is doing. if driven just as usual the car should be fairly neutral and safe/ but when forced and driven fast the back, especially in rain, can develope some independant thoughts. that's at least what i heard. i never drove a E30 myself.
You're pretty much correct. They are fun as hell to drive though [thumb]

Ive only driven an e30 for 20 min. during a test drive yesterday but I was impressed, hadling was great, breaking was excelent. My only complaint is the stiff gas peddle, but I got used to it in the 20 min. When I was driving it there was a flash rain, and the streets were soaked, every ditch was filled with water, I quickly got used to the slippyer road and learned how the car reacts. I could controll it very well. When my dad drove it for 10 min he kept on spinning the wheels. Im only 15, he is 50, I have always been a quick learner so It rilly depends on the driver. Dont know how the e36 compares.

Phreon

Actually, I think I'll just get a "Type R" sticker and slap it on the back of my old Audi. That's guaranteed to make it scream like a banshee, right?

Phreon

What I like about BMW is that when you push them hard, they give you that "rush" that motorcycles give you...that same rush that Ferrari and Porsche try to mimic. That is what is so special about BMW.

epj3

Phreon said:
Actually, I think I'll just get a "Type R" sticker and slap it on the back of my old Audi. That's guaranteed to make it scream like a banshee, right?

Phreon

Hehe yup [hihi]

Atleast, if you believe in the placebo effect...

demq

My 87 325 is my first car, but damn it runs so good that I cannot drive other cars much [^] . It likes to spin in the rain, but a good set of tires sort that problem out( I changed mine to Brigestone Turanza lately, and they give you a really good traction on the wet roads). The handling is pretty good, it gives you a smooth ride if you want it, and even with regular shocks(as mine are) lets you to make very tight corners. I didn't drive Audi, so I don't know about it much, but e30 gives you a lot of fun. Try 325 with "i" cause they have about 40 more HP than others.
Anyway let us know about your decision, and good luck[wave] [burnout]

I just got i 91 318is and i love how it handles it is so much more fun than any other car I have ever driven/ owned(which isn't much).

87 325 with a few upgrades, i lowered the bimmer(eibach), put on Bilstien Sport shocks, Just with those, my car feels as if it rides on Rails, whipping around corners, i get only a slight squeeling of my tires, just enough to make me feel good [thumb]

My car is fairly slow on the straight lines, but i can whoop hella other cars when it comes to corners (freeway on ramps, the road i take when going to work :) )

My buddy has a 95 325i, yeah he smokes me where ever we go, but when we get to corners, i can keep up with him without my e30 stressing (his car is still stock height)

and yes, It is the Ultimate driving machine, i will never own another make of car. as soon as i took my e30 out for the first run, i fell deeply inlove with the bimmer.

I give you my personal garuntee (misspell) that you will not be dissapointed, ever

Ben[mad]