2004 x5 4.4i

dolo

hey everyone!

my first post here on this forum...i have been following for QUITE some time, just have never contriubuted.

i always read pushakov and mrElussive's messages ;)

in any case, here is the situation at hand.

i currently own a 328i 99' (first year of e46), and am currently looking to get an x5. an SUV is for sure what i will be going with.

my main concerns are:

1) the new xDrive - legit?

2) i know about the 4.8is coming out soon, but is there a complete revamp of the body coming out sometime soon?

3) if you had the budget for an x5, what are some of the other SUV/SAV vehicles that you would look to? (keep in mind lexus rx300 is out of the question ;))

I would be purchasing new, in Black/Black 19" optional 5 spokes, sports/premium/nav.

where i live there is snow, but not TOO much so i am hoping the xDrive with some snowtires may just do the trick for just about anything.

Many thanks and hope to post more and more and more!

Regards,
dolo

NICOLA

[[driving]
I test drove several SUV's, but once you own a Beamer, it's hard to change.
The Volvo CX90 was nice and very roomy, also offered a lot for the money. But once I got into the X5 it was all over with. We ordered the same day!

Last edited:

Carbonide

Same for me: I tried the XC90 and loved the design and the interior, but the motor of the X5 made me change my mind at once (btw, I ordered a 3.0d two weeks ago, only 38 to go [:(], yes I have to wait 9 months for my new baby [:)])

NICOLA

We ordered ours in Dec and they told us three months. Then it changed to production in March, delivery April, but as I was told yesterday, it's already on the way. So anytime now! I sold my 2001 BMW 325I just last month and am driving our "hooptie" 95 520 BMW. Still nice, too.
But of course I can't wait for my 'baby' to arrive [:D]

Carbonide

Nicola, I'm happy for your speedy delivery. Believe me, I really am.

But, and here's the big question, knowing that I'm originating from a minuscule country completely irrelevant in the big political landmap, I'm still wondering why there are those incredible differences in delivery times (as stated in my previous message at least 9 months for me).

Anybody care to explain? Maybe someone from Spartanburg [:)]

P.S.: Being new here, and don't wanting to sound ungrateful because I enjoyed so far reading this board, is there something like a "official" X5 message board? Just asking... as Google turned nothing up.

dolo

yea nicola

same issue here.

i just love the bmw engine and sporty handling of all it's line of vehicles. that's what is keeping me on deck.

i have choosing between the following:

x5 4.4is (sports w/ new 5 spoke 19's, prem, etc. etc.)
Avaitor (loaded)
FX35/45 depending on a test drive...

the new x5 looks great. anyone know if there is a model change coming up anytime soon for the x5 other then the face lift?

odds are i won't like the new form factor if it is like the new x3.

final debate of course is...4.6is or new 4.4 with iDrive...

Regards,
dolo

rory

Hi, everyone, I'm new to the forum. Just picked up my Silver Grey 2004 X3 3.0i a couple days ago. Options I got are the premium package, adaptive headlights, panoramic sunroof, Park Distance Controller and privacy glass. It drives like a dream!

thomasreda

I have been a BMW emthusiast and I am currently driving a BMW M3 2001. I am planning on changing to the X5 and I have been asking myself the same question as you. As far as waiting for the 4.8, don't think it is worth it. The 2004 X5 comes with 330hp which is powerful enough. 4.8 is too much of a premium in price for nothing more than more power, V8 engine etc.
As far as other cars within the budget ... Range Rover and Porsche Cayenne are the only ones within that price range. And possibly FX45 as well. Range Rover is the best when it comes to hard core 4x4 driving but as far as comfort does not come close to X5. Porsche is just UGLY. Not worth it. And the interior is too bland.
So I would say .... X5 or BUST!!!!
Just FYI ... where I live, Dubai (UAE), we only get one trim which is the FULLY loaded one. The price for X5 4.4 (new) is AED265,000 (US$72,000). However they have a second hand, 2004 X5 for AED235,000 ($64,000). Would be nice to know what other people are paying for this car around the world. And the longest we have to wait for a car is 3 months even though there is only one dealer in Dubai and we happen to have a large number of X5s on the road.

NICOLA

Well, actually here in Germany you have to wait about a year now! But lukily we're just stationed here and as Americans in the military we're so fortunate to have a quicker delivery time...
Can't really explain why there are such different time frames, but good luck on a speedy delivery to you!
Still waiting on ours, but any day now!!

Last edited:

Mr. Sam

I'm new to posting here. I ordered my 2004 X5 3.0 in Sep 03 and took deliver a week before Christmas 2003. I live in Germany (civilian with the military)

I bought it for my wife but I haven't been able to stop driving it. What a fun driving machine.

I am considering buying another BMW but haven't quite decided what I want. I test drove the X3 but didn't like it. Maybe I'm hooked on the X5.

[welcome] No doubt Mr. Sam, you are surely HOOKED on that fine piece of machinery. Might I suggest that you look into the new 530i with the sport and premium packages. Only problem is that you REALLY need to watch out for those darn "Parking Lot Rocks". I guess I just got "rear ended" one to many times. Oh well, such is military life. [poke]

asad

Took my Breath Away

Hi Everyone - I test dorve the new 4.4 X5 - 2 things immediately becomes aware - immense power !! and devastating agility - the only problem is that in the UK there is a substantial waiting list of approximately a year (18 months for the diesel). I have had to do extensive phoning to eventually find one dealer who can deliver in July 2004. So all prospective buyers do persevere !!

The spec I have ordered is 4.4 Sport, Communications pack, running boards (grey interior with new graphite metal trim) - can't wait !!

Will let you know when received.