X5 Center Console Issue

nxm5

My center console seems to have locked up for no apparent reason, which is pretty much a bummer. I'm in the 4.4i, a 2001. I have a ton of stuff in there. Brought it by the dealership, but the tech's weren't available, and my contact there tried to convince me that I never had any storage under there... (those of you with the 4.4i with the business cd package know that is where the cd's are stored, in a rather cool way too!) I guess it could be worse, last time he tried to convince me I had a V6.

Anyway, if anyone else has had this problem please let me know how you fixed it!

nxm5

Hey, thanks for the reply. Well, when I press in on the button, it goes in, but doesn't release the cover of the center storage (behind the cup holders, below the cell phone storage.) The armrest is adjustable, it's the one on gliders, and it won't release in any position along the track. Any idea?

Oh ok, so the button does nothing basically and it won't slide on the track.

Is it all the way forward? If so, I have had a few come in with that problem before. When they get moved forward too fast, they over extend on the track and jam up.

So far I have managed to free all the ones that came in that way by pressing in the slide release button and while holding it in, smack the armrest towards the rear of the vehicle (to slide it back) and it usually frees it up after a smack or six. If that doesn't work, you will have to take it in and get it replaced under warranty. A pain in the arse yes, but it's covered. [thumb]

Those consoles are a pain, you know the cupholders further up in the console? I had to replace one on Friday because one of the little tabs that stick out to hold the cup broke.

It is screwed in from below. Yay, I had to rip out the entire center console to replace it. Two freaking hours for a cup holder. WTF???? [?|]