X3 2.5i Driven!

I drove my X3 2.5i today at the dealer - still needs to go through dealer prep so it still had shipping blocks, battery bypass, and a bunch of CDs, DVDs and other parts rolling around in the back so I couldn't really get carried away.

For my taste I accomplished the look I wanted, Ti Silver car, black trim throughout inside and out. Grey leather, metal trim and white lights. I don't know what all the fuss is about the black trim - it is an SAV not a car.

A few important notes - lights are white - all of them, I have Xenon lights which look great on the front. The premiium package does pull in all the storage options on the 3.0i - rails and nets. Tires are Pirelli Scorpion STR on BMW 111 rims - rims have a nice design.

Hoop

hoopsurfer

I took delivery of my Ti Silver X3 a few days ago:

Car is: X3 2.5i, Ti Silver, Steptronic Auto, Grey Leather, Pattern Finish Metal Trim, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium, Pkg, Heated Steering, Luggage Net, Front Armrest, Xenon, Adaptive Headlights, Nav, Premium Sound w/ DSC, Assist, Sat Radio Ready, Privacy Glass

As promised here is a comparison of a X3 3.0i and my 2.5i with both being compared to the 325i I've been driving for 3 years. I definitely made the right choice for me - a completely amazing ride that oozes technology.

The NAV and DSP (Digitial Sound Processor in Premium sound) is very cool - the voice for the NAV is processed by the DSC so if you have it setup to sound like a large room, the NAV voice provides that effect - but we digress.

To really get a good comparison of the 3.0i and the 2.5i, I went to the dealer early and drove them back to back - about 20 minutes each on a mix of highway and back roads on the same route (I also drove my 325i for the final time on the same route before going to the dealer - for old times sake).

The Similarities
----------------
A few observations that I found identical. It really is amazing how much of the 3-series feel they have captured in the X3, of course the fact that most controls are in the exact same position doesn't hurt, but after 3 years behind the wheel of my 325i, I was extremely comfortable driving the X3. The legroom is definitely better and my left leg just seemed to fit better (I notice my left leg touches the door of my 325i often). The automatic transmission controls look identical to the 3-series. The metal trim looks sharp on the shift console.

I'm used to sport seats and found the X3 Premium seats very similar feel - no adjustable thigh support, but I didn't notice it. The 3.0i had lumbar support, the 2.5i doesn't (in fact lumbar support and the engine where the only differences I noticed between the two cars). After playing around with it, I'm fine with no lumbar support.

The premium package comes with a four spoke steering wheel, I had to adjust the wheel down to get the 9:30/2:30 position that I'm used to with the three spoke sport wheel. I like the look of the three spoke better - but on an SAV (and with heated option) I'm very comfortable.

The ride height is a big plus as is easier entry/exit as a result. The X3 does not feel too high (or top heavy like several SUVs I've driven). Visibility is different than 325i of course and on several occasions when changing lanes I found myself a little surprised when I took a quick look behind - the pillers are in a different location of course - something I'll get used to. the side view mirrors are larger and provide a better view of traffic when using them. Exhaust notes appeared to be identical, I tried to listen carefully (no radio) and didn't notice any difference.

Handling and steering was identical for my test, I didn't push much in this area other than aggressive driving. Tight, responsive, very BMW.

The X3 3.0i Steptronic was my first drive, I pushed the car hard and it was very smooth - the zero-60 times I experienced in all transmission settings seemed better than the published times. The push from 40 to 60 is impressive. I did note what seemed to me to be a delay in downshifting from 3rd to 2nd in the normal Auto setting when slowing down the engine seemed to wait longer than I'm used to with the 325i to downshift, probably because the shift points are adjusted for more low-end torque.

The 2.5i Steptronic, was a thrill to drive, different shift points was the most noticable difference. The 2.5i shifted to second at lower RPM, I'm told some of this can change because of the adaptive transmission so I can't be sure all of it was due to different engines. 0-60 times where more similar that I expected. I measured using distance (I stopped at a specific location and then accelerated to 60 and noted where I was with respect to some well-placed telephone poles.

My bottom line - no doubt the X3 3.0i has more power, but I found the X3 2.5i a great ride - plenty of acceleration on the highway when passing. I'm quite happy with my choice and now that 2.5i's are arriving from the factory, it will be interesting to see other opinions. I've read comments from others who theorized that the 2.5i would feel underpowered, from my direct comparison - not so.

Hoop

Last edited:

SoccerFan

Just got my production number yesterday.

My X3 scheduled to be built frist week of March.

It is Mystic Blue with a Beige interior, a 2.5 with manual transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Xenon, Upgraded Radio and Satilite prep. Can't wait to get it.

Wow..a great review!
Thanks a bunch! [thumb] I'm also looking to purchasing the BMW X3 2.5i. I'm actually at the final deals with my dealer. It's great that 2.5i is not too much different from 3.0i...I'm not such an active driver, unfortunately, so I chose the 2.5i.

Thanks!

Last edited:

olaf

What dealer did you buy from? What were you able to negotiate for a price? I am thinking of custom ordering an X3. How long does it take to order?

Thanks.

-olaf

mybluex3

About X3 3.0i

is it all the delivery are only 2.5 now? Anyone order a 3.0 and got their car? I ordered my 3.0 a while but still waiting...

which deal has a good deal in Mass too? thanks

rory

Hi, everyone, I'm new to the forum. Just picked up my Silver Grey 2004 X3 3.0i a couple days ago. Options I got are the premium package, adaptive headlights, panoramic sunroof, Park Distance Controller and privacy glass. It drives like a dream!

rory

Carbonide said:
How do you get a production number? And how does this translate to a build date?
I had to put down a deposit in December for mine. You can order a build from scratch at your local dealer and they'll give you a production number. It'll probably take them a couple weeks to start building your car. As for your build date, you have to keep asking your salesguy for an update of how many % of your car is completed. It usually ships when it is at 95% from Austria (that is where the X3 is built). Altogether it can take up to 8 weeks for you to see your car if not longer. I ordered mine at the end of December and I chose one that was already in production and it didn't arrive until Friday of last week.

Carbonide

I ordered an X5 3.0d (Option Line with several other accessories) on February 10th, to be build from scratch. Although I'm living in Europe, I have been told it will be build in the USA (X3s are build in Austria, even for US customers).

The dealer gave me an approximate shipping date (mid Octobre, no joke!!), but no production number. Maybe he just forgot to tell me so, or didn't suppose I'd be interested in it. It would be fun to know how much of my car already has been build. I was always under the impression production would only take days or so (maybe assembling would be a better word for it).

It will be a hard time waiting for my new car (it's already been hard :), but here in Europe we seem accustomed to it.

I'll give the dealer a call so he can tell me my production number.

Thanks for the details, Rory.

rory

Carbonide said:
I ordered an X5 3.0d (Option Line with several other accessories) on February 10th, to be build from scratch. Although I'm living in Europe, I have been told it will be build in the USA (X3s are build in Austria, even for US customers).

The dealer gave me an approximate shipping date (mid Octobre, no joke!!), but no production number. Maybe he just forgot to tell me so, or didn't suppose I'd be interested in it. It would be fun to know how much of my car already has been build. I was always under the impression production would only take days or so (maybe assembling would be a better word for it).

It will be a hard time waiting for my new car (it's already been hard :), but here in Europe we seem accustomed to it.

I'll give the dealer a call so he can tell me my production number.

Thanks for the details, Rory.
I dunno, maybe you guys in Europe will get it quicker cause I think the main wait for us here in North America is the shipping.

Carbonide

I just found a 7 digit number on my order. Could this be the production number?

How do I check the status of the build process with that number?

Thanks for any information.

Carbonide

Thanks for your help, but unfortunately the on-line registration form doesn't accept my production number (probably because I'm not a US resident).

The possibility to check the build process is unavailable on the local BMW sites (I checked France, Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg). Guess I'll have to ask the dealer.

Thanks again!

deniss

I finally made it to the dealer to drive the 2.5 X3 with steptronic. I have no complaints whatsoever. Excellent, excellent car all-around. Looks great inside out, fit and finish is very nice, it's got plenty of space inside... It behaves commendably on the road. I drove the model without the sport suspension, and I disagree with people who say the ride is too firm. It's not too firm - in fact, I believe it to be just about right. It feels in touch with the road on one hand, and on the other hand a pothole doesn't upset the car at all. It has a confident, poised ride and is a joy to drive. The steering is weighed just right - not too light, not too hard. I am not sure if the servo-steering option was on this car or not. The car loves the curves and takes them with minimal lean.

Way to go, BMW. Got this one right, for sure.

P.S. The standard audio system is quite good already! I was very surprised. I'm sure the premium audio has to be a dream :) Oh and the panaramic sunroof is amazing. I say it's worth the money. All the switches and clickers are excellent. Lots and lots of space in the back and in the trunk.

Last edited: