Window tint and radio?

HarleyC

The radio in the 745 worked fine until we had window tint installed. Is it possible for the type or brand of tint to affect radio reception? Selling car and it's one of the items a buyer will ask about. thanks.

Some cars had the aerial integrated into the rear window with the demister, so I'd say if your car is like this the answer could be yes if tint was installed on the rear window. Does the demister work? Check the connections havn't come loose due to the tint installation.

lgneub

My husband was told not to get the reflective window tint (not that he would)--it has some special name--brand---he was told it would "block" sat. radio.

HarleyC

Thanks for the feedback...

Since the time to ask about the tint has gone by, I'll have to work with the present situation. Thanks for the shared knowledge though....will help moving forward.

And what kind of tint? A ceramic tint will interfere with the radio reception.
In my experience, ceramic tint will NOT interfere. Metallic tint may. Yes, ceramic often has some metal in it too, but it seems to be less of a problem than some regular metallic tints.

Harley, I think the safest thing to do is to report whether you have had any reception problems and list what kind of tint you have (if known). After all, just cuz a car has tint (any kind) doesn't automatically mean it's going to have reception problems.

lgneub

Codex...yes....maybe metalic...all I know is it was some sort of tint he was advised not to use. He went with 3M.

Poster--sorry---what a PITA. figures right? The tint shop should have asked you about your radio...they SHOULD know better. They are the "experts".

HarleyC

Since I have been driving it more regularly and not the better half, I've noticed that I can receive all FM stations fine, AM is a bit weak, but the system does not save the stations in the display correctly half the time. And sometimes, if I save a station to memory again, it may or not be displayed correctly again once the car is turned off and then back on. Despite the fact the computer unit has been replaced (probably unnecessarily) in the past and the dealer uploaded the software to it (latest version they said) I'm thinking it might also be a software issue and not a material interference. Ever seen a similar situation and am I getting closer to solving this thing or no? Again, all help appreciated!