which bm?

elekt

Hey guys this is my first post. Im 17 and just got a job and plan on buying my own car (right now my parents have a camry that i drive but its not mine). I have 2 grand in my a count plus i started working 30 hours a week so im gonna start getting alot more money. I want to buy a bm within the next year. Im thinking a 325i or 325is, i want something thats fast, automatic, with good handling and plent of options for performance mods. I want a 2 door also. So would a 325is 6cyl be a good car? like 1994-1997? and how much would i expect to pay for one with decent miles like 50 - 70 k? what other 3 series should i look into? thanx alot in advance.

Tom

Staff Team
Hi and welcome elekt,

If you want a 2-door then the 325is is the car you want. Take a look at www.autotrader.com and see what fits your budget.

I believe the '97 models have the upgraded metal impalers in their waterpump which are less prone to damage.

elekt

why auto?

three main reasons i want an auto. First being ease of driving like to work and school etc, and i use my cell alot, and second being i dont know how to drive stick very well and third im not interested in drag racing like 0-60, i like more windy roads or racing from a roll, and auto only takes off about 1/2 a second on a 1/4 mile ive heard?

oh and for the 325is what year would be best for under 12 grand or so? and is 100k miles way to much for a 95?

Last edited:

Ben

first off, welcome. now, you could just get an earpiece for your cell, its not that hard to learn to drive a stick and if you like driving on winding roads, DEFINITLY get a stick, it helps soo much with the cornering and controling your speed. like tom said, check autotrader.
ben

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
In my manual i glide round the corners on the throttle alone pulling high revs to allow slight inputs of the throttle and keeping the car in the power band for the exit. This is where my englishness comes through as the only auto i have driven is a smart(which is not actually an real auto) So will the auto box change up because of the sustained high revs or are there sensors to stop it???i do know the auto will take your power away and will not make it cheap or easy for tuning as the manual 'box can handle much more power than the auto arrangment. you don't want to find yourself stepping on the gas outside the school gates only to leave you torque converter on the steps...IMHO i would take driving lessons in a manual and get used to it as the benifits speak for themselves (E30 m3 or E34 M5 = no auto)

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
Re: why auto?

elekt said:
three main reasons i want an auto. First being ease of driving like to work and school etc, and i use my cell alot, and second being i dont know how to drive stick very well and third im not interested in drag racing like 0-60, i like more windy roads or racing from a roll, and auto only takes off about 1/2 a second on a 1/4 mile ive heard?

oh and for the 325is what year would be best for under 12 grand or so? and is 100k miles way to much for a 95?

It has been proven that people that talk on their cell phone while driving exhibit many of the same characteristics as those that are intoxicated. This is why alot of states are making it illegal. Besides, if your driving a BMW, you should show it and the people around you (that are driving slower, more poorly engineered cars) the respect of paying full attention. IMO[hihi]

There is nothing better than rolling onto the interstate at 60 MPH, double clutching it, and dropping it into third![thumb]

Last edited:

elekt

no i am not a long talker on the fone but when i get a call i like to pick it up and pull over. and with a manual thats increasingly hard to do, im learning how to drive my cousins stick celica this week so im getting used to that but thanks alot for the help.

Ahhh, youth is wasted on the young! Foolish child, hear my rebuke. Driving demands your full attention, even just tooling along about town. Turn off your phone while driving. Do not eat or drink while driving. Buy a very inexpensive car, you will wreck it in less than 18 months.

You want a 1993-95 325i/is or 1996-98 328i/is. You may want to consider the older E30 3-series, as they hold up better than the E36.

All of the above are within your price range, depending upon mileage and condition. Autotrader is a good place to start. I found my BMW there.

Don't give up on the manual transmission so quickly. It is a far superior driving experience. Once you learn how to drive one properly, you will understand.

Once you find a car you like, go drive it. If you still like it, try to negotiate a fair price. If you can reach an agreement, go have the car inspected by a compentent BMW mechanic (before you buy it). If it checks out, buy the car and start living the dream.

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
wileycoyote said:
Ahhh, youth is wasted on the young! Foolish child, hear my rebuke. Driving demands your full attention, even just tooling along about town. Turn off your phone while driving. Do not eat or drink while driving. Buy a very inexpensive car, you will wreck it in less than 18 months.
I do not believe that it is right to say that he WILL wreck it within the first 18 months. I have had my license for six years, and have had one accident. It was a deer, so it wasn't driving abilities that were to blame, just local fauna. I most definately do agree with turning the cell phone off. I just don't think that there is anybody that is so important to talk to, that would make the risk worthwhile. Maybe on a road trip, but why not just call them back when you get where you are going¿

Tom said:
I believe the '97 models have the upgraded metal impalers in their waterpump which are less prone to damage.
When you get the car inspected they will check to see if the original plastic impeller has been replaced witha metal one. If not, the metal part is a cheap fix that you should do immediately. As for the year of the changeover, 97 sounds about right. I don't know if there was a definitive change for all M50/M52 engines.

elekt

i will wreck?

ive been driving cars since i was 12, so thats almost 6 years of experience
plus ive had my liscense for over 18 months so i dont really think i will wreck it anytime soon. And i currently drive a car that has no abs and has the worse suspension known to man and that doesnt seem to make me wreck so i think you should not stereotype that i am gabbing on the fone all the damn day and swirving all over the road.

carcus

1000 Post Club
If you want an automatic, get a 328, I personally like manual shifters, but have tried for years to teach the wife on a stick but to no avail. Automatics are good in the city where you are going stoplight to stoplight. Nothing wrong with an automatic. These cars are not fast, but quick. You can get a used 3 series pretty cheap with the E36 body style if you shop around since it is the older than a E46 body. Be prepared for maintenance though, these cars are not always cheap to fix if you need major repairs. Make sure if you get a used BMW, have it checked out as any used car, last thing you want is buying a used car that needs a engine rebuild or trans rebuild. Just a warning. Also, be prepared for other things that are not cheap to fix. BMW has a lot of nice electronic gagets, and when they break....not cheap either. Not steering you away, just been there done that. E36 engines are pretty good and bullet proof, but beware of the cheap one for sale that someone neglected. You spend all the money on a car, then it needs a major overhaul a few weeks later......OHHHHHH!!!!! Having flashbacks from the Mercedes ML320 I traded in for the 328IC......that Benz was a electrical NIGHTMARE!!!! Must stop typing......getting angry.....having flashbacks from a so called Star Marked pre-owned Mercedes.......AHHHHH!!!!![?|]