repainting my bimmer

vet8110

I have a 2000 323ci and am thinking aboiut getting it re-painted and some dings taken out. Has anyone ever had their car re-painted? Did the paint look as good as the original? Was the paint as durable as the factory paint? i am assuming the paint would not be as good as the factory paint but I am wondering of it is worth the money. My brother sells paint for automotive paint and body shops and said it would likely cost about 4000$-I figured this is cheaper than buying a new car plus my car is paid for and I like it. Il ive in Austin and am planning on using "Berleys" paint and body shop which is what the BMW dealer recommends. Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks

from my experiences the look and durability of car paint really all come down to how much you want to spend on it

you could paint your car for $50 but up close it would be pretty obvious that it's a $50 paint job

on the other hand you could very well spent 10k on a paint job and im sure it would look amazing

There is a big difference between a $800 job vs. a $3000-$4000 job. You do get what you pay for. A low price job will get you little to no prep, so the dings, dents, previous paint chips will all show through the shiny new paint. The new paint will be one or two thin coats of a cheap paint, and will chip easily. With little to no prep the new paint will not adhere well, and will start to look bad after 3 or 4 years. For a $4000 paint job, it's likely that just the paint itself will cost more than the entire $800 job!

Now, I am not saying that $800 paint jobs don't have their place (they do) - you have decide on your budget vs. expectations.

vet8110

thanks for the replies. I think i will start saving up and get it repainted when the car turns 10 (as long as it holds up engine wise). I have been drooling over the new hard top convertibles (I have a soft top) but I love not having a car payment.

Repainting your own car is one of the coolest job you can do for your own ride. That really depends on the paint and how will you do it. You can stuck some more parts that you can do your own like the interior accessories, some window tints, (SPAM LINK REMOVED) spoilers and new rims. After doing the repainting, let us see the finish product.

Last edited by a moderator: