R&T M3 v. S4 v. C32

kind of a bogus article, cause the M3 cleans up in both subjective and performance categories, yet still loses because of $5k.

i don't understand while they still throw in the cars from AMG, auto's never win (yes i know it was SMG v. tiptronic, but the SMG is sequential manuel and the AMG is puurrrree auto, torque converter and everything).

bah, just frustrated i guess, but i do love the S4 and the M3. so i guess i should be happy that they at least printed the article.

do any of our adoring members have any thoughts on that?

epj3

I agree with you. I personally do not like mercedes. They are too expensive, imo, for what they are. When you buy a BMW you're buying a car from a company that has a super history in performance cars. Not saying there is anything wrong with the AMG or audi, but just look at the history behind the M3 alone!

Im not a BMW-everything type of person - I equally love Audi and Mercedes as well.
But I am very happy to hear such news. To know that Audi is at a level to be a major contender against bmw and that Mercedes actaully has put money back into more sporty cars.

I dont like that mercedes is still against standard trannies (its again, a new thing for them), but you dont find manual transmissions in race cars anymore. 'tis a thing of the past!

Ive got my eye on the new S4 closer than ever.... mmmmmmmm, V8

oh yeah, i'm not an all encompassing bmw guy either. i have great respect for many different makes of cars (porsche is super high on my list, parent company audi, parent company vw)

but i just think that 5 grand shouldn't take the cake on its own.

xLibelle said:
...but you dont find manual transmissions in race cars anymore. 'tis a thing of the past!
Well yea, race cars are designed to be ruthlessly efficient in what they do. They are designed to go insanely fast, not necessarily to be fun.

yea i don't like the pricing getting in the way of determining what spot in the final tally the car comes in, but if that $5k isn't a big issue to you, you know what you are going to get.

you dun need R&T or whatever automag to justify your purchase anyway. on the flip side, if a car does cost more, it should be able to justify the cost by performing better.. well in this case, betterer [hihi]

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
epj3 said:
When you buy a BMW you're buying a car from a company that has a super history in performance cars.
Merc has a HUGE racing pedigree (more probably than BMW) it has been in F1 for much longer and there endurance racers are supurb, SLR anyone??? Oh and they do offer a manual gearbox in virtually all models the trouble is their horrible. Mercades also produce the worlds fastest automatic car SL55 AMG. And another point any "racing" driver that uses an automatic transmission in full auto mode will loose. Schumacher doesn't and without argument he is the best in the world. they actually use semi-auto SMG style boxes. however the gears are dog cut and the upshifts are done at preprogrammed RPM's not when the 'Box decides it wants to. there is very little similarity between racing transmissions and consumer a box!

mikev wrote:
Mercades also produce the worlds fastest automatic car SL55 AMG.
Only slightly faster and significantly more expensive than the M5. Does the slight edge really make it better? I think not. BMW obviously does more with "less"! And the Mbz is 2 door coupe!! Hmmm.

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
Average Jae said:
yea i don't like the pricing getting in the way of determining what spot in the final tally the car comes in, but if that $5k isn't a big issue to you, you know what you are going to get.

you dun need R&T or whatever automag to justify your purchase anyway. on the flip side, if a car does cost more, it should be able to justify the cost by performing better.. well in this case, betterer [hihi]
I think cost should be an issue....Why pay 5000 more for a car when you can pay less and get the same performance(this doesnt apply to us because we are not everyday drivers..we are enthusiasts of a marke) from a cheaper car??? I think that is why they use cost...on the other hand they more than likely said the the BMW would beat out all the other cars(just slightly)if not for the cost factor(note: I have not read the article but R&T and Car and Driver love BMW's from what I have read in the past and are prob. trying their best to be unbiased.)

adrean8j said:
I think cost should be an issue....Why pay 5000 more for a car when you can pay less and get the same performance(this doesnt apply to us because we are not everyday drivers..we are enthusiasts of a marke) from a cheaper car??? I think that is why they use cost...on the other hand they more than likely said the the BMW would beat out all the other cars(just slightly)if not for the cost factor(note: I have not read the article but R&T and Car and Driver love BMW's from what I have read in the past and are prob. trying their best to be unbiased.)
yeah, but thats the thing, the BMW out performed the audi, and had better subjective ratings. and yeah, i guess i should hand it to RT for giving someone else a chance to win..... good thing it only happens in the pages of a magazine, and not on the street [burnout]

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
Yeah usually in those magazine standoffs the BMW is the clear winner....but that price ALWAYS gives the underdogs a chance......and the prices are mainly like that in America....price comparisons are a lot closer in Europe....for example I got my car for 18,800euro w/M-Sport susp, Businees CD, Suede&cloth seats, M-steering wheel, M side moldings, M spoiler kit, Sport seats, Onboard computer.....Only things I DONT have are heated seats, CD changer, and Navi. This car in the states (1999 btw.) would cost upwards of 25k USED!!! They play the American market very well(BMW and MB and even AUDI to an extent) and they play the used car market even better in America........just something to chew on.