Nick Heidfeld Announced As Bmw Williamsf1 Race Driver

epj3

Valencia, 31 January 2005. The BMW WilliamsF1 Team today confirmed that Nick Heidfeld has been appointed as a team race driver to partner Mark Webber for the 2005 season. The appointment was confirmed at the launch of the team’s new car in Valencia. Antonio Pizzonia has also been retained by the team in the position of official test and reserve driver.

The announcement follows an extensive evaluation process that commenced in November 2004, and saw Heidfeld and Pizzonia test for 12 full days each.

The announcement, together with today’s launch of the Williams BMW FW27, focuses the team’s preparations for the season which commences on March 6, 2005 in Melbourne.

On the confirmation of his appointment, Nick Heidfeld said, “I really wanted this job. Driving for the BMW WilliamsF1 Team is the greatest opportunity of my career. I will do everything I can to show that I deserve this place and I’m counting the days to the first Grand Prix. ‘Racing’ against Antonio was a lot of fun. He’s a great team-mate. I respect him and I would also have taken on the job of test driver.”

BMW WilliamsF1 Team Principal Frank Williams commented, “It wasn’t an easy decision for us to make, and there was little to choose between the two of them, and we were in the fortunate position to be able to choose between two drivers who would be a credit to any Formula One team. Ultimately, however, it is Nick who has got our vote, but I am delighted that we have strength in depth with Antonio taking up the position of official test and reserve driver.”

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen said, “All three drivers were very strong in the most recent tests – not only behind the wheel but also when working together with the engineers. The new team has grown together quickly and harmoniously. I’m very pleased for Nick. He earned the seat with his strong performance. Antonio knows that, as a test driver, he is also taking on a key role in the team.”

Antonio Pizzonia said, “I’m a racing driver and naturally I would rather be racing in all the Grands Prix. But in the past I have also learnt how important test work is for the success of the team as a whole. I also know as official reserve driver that you have to be ready to step into a race seat at any time. Although it is not the decision I wanted, I’m pleased to be part of the BMW WilliamsF1 Team in 2005 and will give my best to help the team’s performance this year.”