how do i do this?

Run your RCA Interconnects from the H/U to the new amp. These are what gets the music sugnal from your H/U to the amp. Connect speaker wire to the amp and then to the appropriate speakers. Remember to watch your polarity (+ and -). Since you bought the amp, im assuming that you have something other than stock speakers. If you are using the stock system you might run into a few more issues.

Run new power cables from the battery (in trunk = EASY!) and new ground cables. For the ground, find a good spot for it and sand the paint off to bare metal before attaching the ground. 4 guage wire would be good, but depending on the wattage and current draw on the amp you might be able to get away with running 8 guage wires.

While you are running your interconnects from the H/U make sure you run a remote wire. Typically a blue or blue and white wire from your H/U, this wire is what signals the amp to actually turn on. A single strand of speaker wire works well for this, just make sure you label it so that you remember what it is!

thanks for the help kev415. should i pull out my stock amp? the guy at the shop told me to just tap into one of the wires in order to connect my new amp, but i'm not sure which one. he told me that i did not need to run new wires from the HU to the amp but instead tap into the stock amp? also i was planning on using the exisiting factory wiring to hook up a set of mb quart comps in the from and rear. is this possible?[hihi]

Last edited:
bmw4life13 said:
thanks for the help kev415. should i pull out my stock amp? the guy at the shop told me to just tap into one of the wires in order to connect my new amp, but i'm not sure which one. he told me that i did not need to run new wires from the HU to the amp but instead tap into the stock amp? also i was planning on using the exisiting factory wiring to hook up a set of mb quart comps in the from and rear. is this possible?[hihi]
You can pull the stock amp, but you dont have to. You MUST disconnect it tho. You could get the audio signal for the other amp as long as your new amp has High-Pass inputs. Even then, I would recomend running RCA's just because of the sound quality that is lost re-amping a signal. and running through little tiny wires the whole length of the car.

As far as the wire that you can pull off of your stock amp, it has to be the remote. I think it is a white wire off of the amp, but i am not sure, if I get a second, Ill go out and look at what I did on my car.

You can use the factory wiring, that is fine. I have some wiring diagrams that I will post tonight if I can find them of what wire goes to where. I got them off of the old board when I did it, so I dont know if they are still burried in there or not. But as long as you have the right wires going to the right places, those speakers shouldnt present a problem. If they are a component set, leave the Cross Over in the trunk and then utilize another set of the stock wiring. If the are full range, then just go for it.

thanks again kev415. i will take your advice and disconnect the stock amp and run new rca's from the HU to my new amp. i'm assuming that if i run new rca's i don't need to grab a signal from the remote wire from the stock amp. i tried looking for the wiring diagram on the forum but i couldn't find it. [?|] hopefully i can get that wiring diagram from you tonight. BTW what and where is the crossover? i plan on installing components both in the front and rear so i guess i better know what to do withi this. sorry for the ignorance but i am sort of new to this. [8] [8]

thanks manuel, i will definitely run the rca's and remote wire from the HU to my new amp. BTW kev415, i feel totally stupid for that crossover question...i guess you meant the crossover that comes with the components. [?|]

how do I run an RCA ???

I have my subwoofer in the trunk and have the amp wired into the signal coming from the stock amp in the trunk. There is a problem, however, when I turn on the car the amp for my subs shorts out everytime and they don't play any sound. I was wondering how to run RCA's from the deck, I have an older kenwood, through the car. I can't find enough room, or the correct location to run the wires back. Could any1 help me out with this question? Any suggestions would be greatfully accepted.

the stock amp is crap when you want to use it for a subwoofer. also it could be that the REMOTE was never hooked up to your kenwood HU. the way i did it was to guide the RCAs to the left behind the gauge cluster and then down the side by the kick panels. from there remove the door sills carefully or you will break a clip. i removed the rear seats and threw the extra slack under there and then pulled the plugs from behind the seats. hope that mumbo jumbo helps ya out...