He who does inadequate research...

An old acquaintance of mine made a point to stop me the other day to ask me how I liked my X5 thus far. I told him the obvious, that I love it, and will for years to come. He then said, oh yeah, well I just ordered one, and I said I'm sure you'll be happy with it as the 04' models have better gas mileage and more horse power. He then said, no, I'm getting the 03' 4.6 X5. There are a few issues that went through my head at this point:

1. Does he know this vehicle is in its last year of production?
2. Does he know that the 04' X5 4.4i has the 315HP 6 speed steptronic trani?
3. Does he know that the body style will have changed before he even picks his up?
4. Does he know of the gas mileage difference between the 04' 4.4i vs. the 4.6?
5. Does he know the gas mileage at all of the 4.6is?
6. Does he know of a possible 10 to 15,000.00 price tag difference between the two for 25 more horses?

As all of these things were going through my mind, I then said, "That’s great, I know you'll love it." To each their own but for me, the cost difference between the two does not substantiate the 03' X5 4.6is as the logical purchase. Feel free to let me know what you guys think!!
[confused]

how many 4.6's have u seen on the street? rarity (speel?) counts a lot for some people
also since its the last year of production it makes it a little more rare

i believe the gearing is different on the 4.6 too b/c it outruns my dad's ML55AMG to 60 but loses in the 1/4 mile...

as far as mileage is concerned, if u're dropping that much money into a car then i'm sure u can afford to fuel it up too =] heheheh

i dun know what color he's getting, but if he gets any of the m colors, rolling on the fat ole 20 inchers. that's gonna turn some heads.

if he's looking more for looks and style over actual substance, he's got a great buy. i saw a black one sitting at a local bmw dealer show room, and i saw the back first, and the massive 11inch wide tires, then the lil 4.6 logo.. whew that was nice ^^

only if he can wait half a year, and pick up the 4.8i.. alright i'll stop now

YUP, the 4.8is is yummy

Average Jae said:
i dun know what color he's getting, but if he gets any of the m colors, rolling on the fat ole 20 inchers. that's gonna turn some heads.

if he's looking more for looks and style over actual substance, he's got a great buy. i saw a black one sitting at a local bmw dealer show room, and i saw the back first, and the massive 11inch wide tires, then the lil 4.6 logo.. whew that was nice ^^

only if he can wait half a year, and pick up the 4.8i.. alright i'll stop now
I saw pics of the 4.8is but I haven't seen the specs on it as yet. I can't wait... I thought that BMW was going to drop the super X model all together, but this was definitely a pleasant surprise. [:D]