E28 M5 vs. E36 M3 Sedan

evanzo

I need to get a car for business use. It needs to be a sedan. I can't decide between an E28 M5 and an E36 M3 sedan. Would like to hear some arguments on one versus the other.

epj3

That's a weird comparison...go for the E36 M3 sedan hands down. E28 M5 will cost 4x the cost in gas, parts, and maintainence. Insurance will be higher too.

The M5 would make a great project car, much more interesting and rare compared to the e36 m3.

But, for buisness use, m3 no question. The m5 would probably spend a lot more time in the shop and unless your clients (or whoever will be see/riding in this car) are BMW enthusiasts and can recognize the car, they may not be very impressed with a daily driver that is more than 20 years old.

epj3

Beemur said:
The M5 would make a great project car, much more interesting and rare compared to the e36 m3.

But, for buisness use, m3 no question. The m5 would probably spend a lot more time in the shop and unless your clients (or whoever will be see/riding in this car) are BMW enthusiasts and can recognize the car, they may not be very impressed with a daily driver that is more than 15 years old.
*correction [:)] (at least, in the US)

evanzo

Why not a E34 M5? Or a 535i or 540i ( 540i's had the nikasil problem tho =/ )
OK, guys, it took me 2 years, but this is what I decided on. A 2003 E39 Sport. This is a very unique car. Basically, it's a very convincing M5 clone. It's got the M5 interior, including the M5 cluster. Obviously it has a custom real dual exhaust, but otherwise everything else is pretty much M5. Yes, it does still have the 540 M-Technic grille t-bar, but I am replacing that with an M5 grille with custom brake duct intakes.

Oh yeah, it has the Dinan S-3 package, so it's supercharged, has their upgraded suspension and Brembo brakes.

The car has been a dream and nightmare, actually. I spent over $5000 replacing a leaky supercharger and the entire cooling system. It's been perfect since that, and I even tracked it last month. The car handled on the track like it was on rails!

The car is a blast to drive, and it is very hard to drive slow. It is truly a torque monster, and keeps pulling and pulling. I love when someone messes with me on the highway and I drop it down into 3rd and wave 'buh-bye'.

Anyway, I a haven't been on here in a while, because I was Bimmer-less for about 3 years, and sort of forgot about my account here. I am on bimmerfest, bimmerboard, and m5board as AirWreck... hang out in the E39 areas. I am a member of the St. Louis BMWCCA. Lookin' to hang out here, make some new friends and share in my love of BMWs!