Buying first BMW

Learning

I'm buying my first BMW. My budget is under $5,000. I've started looking and would like advice on some of the choices I have to now make.

A high-end auto mechanic is selling a 318i with 227,000 miles. He says he's replaced everything that could possibly be bad. For the same price, the same car usually has about 155,000 miles. Which is generally better...low miles or professional maintenance?

Also what are the main major issues with buying a 10 - 13 year old BMW that I should look for?

THx all.

Big Daddy

You do not say what the "high end" mechanic is asking for the 318, nor what it's condition. I have found a lot of mechanics do not take proper care of their cars, busy all day working on others and not interested in spending their time off working on theirs. That said I do know one who is extremely proud of his E30 and it is perfect in every way, so it could be ok. You need to tell us things like automatic/manual, etc.

Learning

ok. Thx. More details.

The high miles one is:

Price $3,500
Mileage 227,000
Body Style Sedan
Exterior Color Black
Interior Color Tan
Engine 4 Cylinder Gasoline
Transmission Manual
Drive Type 2 wheel drive - rear
Fuel Type Gasoline
Doors Four Door
VIN WBACA5322SFG13564

High mileage as this BMW was a highway "commuter." But don't let the miles fool you, this 1995 BMW 318i is in amazing condition!!! This is a wonderful and fun BMW to drive. Very light, nimble and capable. The 1.8 liter 4-cylinder engine is in fantastic working order and propels the sedan effortlessly while delivering amazingly high miles per gallon (great MPGs!!!). Factory Options include: 5 Speed Manual Transmission, AM/FM Cassette Radio with Trunk Mounted BMW 6-Disc CD Changer, Tan Leather Interior with Dual Fold Down Rear Seats, Sunroof with Tilt, Fog Lights and Premium 328 Wheels with fresh Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S Tires (205/60/15) All Keys, Books and Service Records Included. Please do not hesitate to call with any questions (858) 454 - 9898 PST

The other is:
Price: $4,498
Trim: is 2dr Coupe
Miles: 159,754
Transmission: Automatic
Engine: 1.8L L4 MPI DOHC
Exterior: Black
Interior: Black
Doors: 4
Certified: no

Air Dam, Automatic Climate Control (2 Zone) - Driver and Passenger, Air Conditioning, Power Exterior Mirrors, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Tachometer, Cruise Control, Power Steering, Power Brakes, AM/FM/Cassette Audio System, 15 Inch Wheels, Intermittent Windshield Wipers, Power Sunroof, Rear Window Defroster, 4-Wheel ABS, Driver and Passenger Front Airbags, Bucket Seats, Cloth Seats, Cloth Seats

I spoke with the owner of the first one and he went on and on about how he'd fixed anything that could be wrong. The other I haven't spoke with.

Just wondering if I should really even listen to the guy with the BMW with 227,000 miles. That's a lot! I'm not looking for a lot of mechanical problems.