Boiling Brake Fluid

I have a stupid question. How would I know if my brake fluid was boiling? At a recent debriefing meeting at a driving school, a guy was complaining that his brake fluid was boiling. Some of the other drivers said they use high temp fluid, etc. Educate me, please, because this is the first I ever heard of this. How could I check to see if I have this problem ... and could I use high temp fluid all the time, or just at driving events?

Big Daddy

You will know if your brake fluid boils because you will loose brake pedal and eventually your brakes (brake fade). You can use a high temp brake fluid all the time, I use ATE Super Blue.

Good article on the subject:
Brake Fluids

Good article Dan. I followed Dan's advice this spring, got a power flusher, flushed my 325i autocrosser and filled it with ATE Blue. If you do plan to track/race on a regular basis, get a power flusher. Under $100, pays for itself in one use.

If you DO suspect that you ever boiled your brake fluid, it's a really good idea to flush and replace with fresh fluid. Boiled fluid can break down and leave residue, deposits, etc.