BMW original brakes

Big Daddy

I never turn a rotor. If it is that bad I replace it. I have been told that BMW does not recommend turning rotors and that is one reason they keep the prices down. I do my own brakes, have all my life and have never had a problem.

Big Daddy said:
I never turn a rotor. If it is that bad I replace it. I have been told that BMW does not recommend turning rotors and that is one reason they keep the prices down. I do my own brakes, have all my life and have never had a problem.
For a DIYer or the local auto shop, that is certainly the way to go.

I happen to be lucky to have nationally known mechanics work on my cars with very nice equipment. My NSX guy (John Vasos at Acura of Brookfield) is the best in the Midwest and on par with anyone in the country, and that is a fact that has been thoroughly documented. (links on request).

They turned the rotors on the NSX a very small amount, just enough to make them smooth for the new pads.

Not to sell my BMW mechanic short. She is nationally known and respected as a top indy BMW mechanic (Jenny Morgan at The Little Car Shop). You can read her column monthly in Roundel.

Big Daddy

Doesn't change anything I said. I also know Jenny Morgan from BMW Club Racing and my time on the Executive Board of a BMW CCA chapter. Further I am very familiar with the Roundel, and as I said "BMW", I was in no way referring to the NSX and their factory rotors. I also know many BMW mechanics and like I said they do not recommend turning factory rotors. Nothing I said is inaccurate.

Interesting reading. I am still curious as to whether the minimal turn I am talking about would be contrary to those recommendations, as it was my impression that machining NSX rotors was not recommended either but was not a problem with the right equipment and in the right situation, i.e. where you are replacing pads on a rotor with most of its original thickness.

I am certainly no expert in this area. I'll try to remember to ask Jen the next time I see her.

brahtw8 said:
If you are putting new rotors on, you will put new pads on. However, I would hope the rotors would outlast the pad and you would have them machined when you put the new pads on. I don't mean a crude turn, but a precise cut.
Brake pads and rotors are different. You shouldn't have to change the rotors every time your brake pads wear out. What I meant was that when the brakes pads wear down you should change both (i.e. front wear out both front should be changed and the same for the back brakes when they go out) pads. If you change the rotors you should always change the pads with them.

///M SPEED said:
Brake pads and rotors are different. You shouldn't have to change the rotors every time your brake pads wear out. What I meant was that when the brakes pads wear down you should change both (i.e. front wear out both front should be changed and the same for the back brakes when they go out) pads. If you change the rotors you should always change the pads with them.
That is what I thought I said, but apparently I was not clear.